What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. rotundifolia "evergrow"

G

Just wondering if anyone here has grown rotundifolia "evergrow" ?

You mean year round right? Yes I have with ym N.rajah. It likes the cool nights and did well for 2 years but I redid my tnak and it is now outside in my bog sleeping finaly!
smile.gif

Drosera rotundifolia 'Evergrow' is a hybrid cross of 2 populations of Californian D. rotundifolia (Gasquet CA X Willow Lake N. Plumas Co.) The resulting plants have forgone dormancy requirements. This is another of friend Ivan Snyder's experiments. I believe he has applied for cultivar status for the plant. Now people in the tropics can grow this beautiful species. The plants are smaller than the typical form (at least so far).

Ivan shared some of the first seed with me, and I currently have some plants growing. I anticipate flowering this spring.

Interestingly, Ivan noted some of the seed germinated while still in the seed pods. I had germination in less than 12 hrs. after sowing the seed, which is a record!

Ivan has made this seed available in the past to LACPS members, and you might try the seedbank there if interested.

I have seed I planted a week or so ago.. still no germination though
confused.gif

Not having anything to do with the 'Evergrow' cultivar, but my little 'colony' of rotundifolias were all only an inch across, mature, this summer... They were a dark, purpley red, all over, very dewy, but only an inch across. Lots and lots of sun...

Now. ABOUT the 'Evergrow' variety... Does it still have that 'instinct' entreched in it's self, like Intermedia 'Cuba' does? So that it may revert back to dormancy if not kept 'tropical' permanently?

Tamlin....do you get my message???

Tamlin- what conditions did you have your seeds in when they germinated? I'm worried I might be keeping them too cool..

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Drosera rotundifolia 'Evergrow' is a hybrid cross of 2 populations of Californian D. rotundifolia (Gasquet CA X Willow Lake N. Plumas Co.) The resulting plants have forgone dormancy requirements. This is another of friend Ivan Snyder's experiments. I believe he has applied for cultivar status for the plant. Now people in the tropics can grow this beautiful species. The plants are smaller than the typical form (at least so far).[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I remember reading that Ivan posted a message on the CP Listserv regarding it being crossed w/ another Drosera species to remove the hibernation trait. I think it was several generations back, such that the hybrid labelling was no longer a factor. I'll see if I can locate it again.

In the meantime, Ivan said,
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I may register this new form as a cultivar, but I have one problem. The
plant produces less seed than normal. I think some other gene might have
been knocked out too. Hopefully with more breeding fertility will be
improved. I would register it now but I'm not sure I could call the
offspring by the same name after further breeding.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
(from http://epm.ucdavis.edu/htbin/mxarchivex/cp.2002-06/20506)

I'm not exactly sure how the labelling and the controlling of the original "Evergrow" batch should be maintained at this point.

Took some effort in brute force searching, but I found it...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">One more backcross of this fertile D. x obovata
with it's tetraploid D. rotundifolia parent and it should be
indistinguishable from pure D. rotundifolia. This will be as Jan's belief
that D. tokaiensis is essentially D. spatulata. And according to what Jan
says about the nomenclatural rules, I could name the new tropical form D.
rotundifolia 'EverGrow'.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
(from http://epm.ucdavis.edu/htbin/mxarchivex/cp.2002-01/9708)

Evergrow germinated in normal room conditions for me, but the germination was sparse.

As for the labeling, I will ask Ivan about that, and see if he has performed the new cross. It is a good question. Thanks for the research!

I just got Ivan's self made D. anglica temperate form. He said that he has only sent it to me (an honor&#33
wink.gif
so I think this qualifies as the rarest Drosera species in my collection! It is tetraploid, so the seed will be fertile. I hope to do some testing of it's ability to form hibernacula and survive the winters here, as well as looking at the germination percentages.

I thought all anglica was temperate? or is there something else special about this one?
Our wild D. anglica here survives winters very well and seems to self polinate so it produces abundant seed.
biggrin.gif
Good luck with yours

Ivan has also made a tropical variety of Drosera anglica by crossing the Californian and Hawaiian strains of D. anglica. There is no dormancy for this very beautiful hybrid.

The only difference regarding the other mentioned plant is that it was man made, rather than occuring spontaneously. The populations crossed were from California and Canada and would never have happened without intervention. Still, its genetic makeup is unique!

Back