What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ok, well.

I have my little terrarium that uh... Small. But anyways. I will probably scoop out all the medium and use it for a few pots to fit into there... Not sure If I'll pick three inch or four inch, depends on what fits better... Anyways. This will be my Pygmy Drosera Terrarium (When/If I decided to go thru with this...).

Few questions now. When would be the most ideal time to start this project? Kind of a vague question, and I suppose it depends on whether I'm starting it from gemmea or from plants... Hmm, to compare... It might not be wisest to purchase, repot and start growing a sarr in August or even worse, September as it is a transitional stage... For Sarrs, the prime time to purchase would probably be JUST as the last frost passes... So that they have ALL summer to grow, right? When would be a good time to start pygmies?

Also. I am a bit confused with their seasons... They have a drier season, at which time they produce their gemmae to be bashed off by the first rain... Right? Do I put them into their 'Dry' and 'Shortened Day' Dormancy in the winter, or in the summer? For how many months?

Also... About how deep in water should the pots be in the wet season? And in the dry? I would assume... Two centimeters for wet season, one or a half for the dry?

Thank you so so much... I know there are other topics about pygmies, but I just wanna clarify, so that I don't screw it up...

Greg
biggrin.gif

Please refer to my post below on the subject:

Adventures in Drosera species: Pygmy Sundews, this should answer many of your questions.

I have...

I'm just wondering though... Their winter is different from our winter, isnt it?

If I recall correctly you said that they make gemmae now, right? And they grow and flower until spring? So is winter their 'wet' season? When do I leave it wet till? You said that they flower all the way thru the summer, when does this leave opportunity for them to have a 'dry' period???

I also have a few more questions, but I have to find out the stats on a light I'm going to buy... They need TONNES of light, that means bulbs really close up right? Incandescent WON'T do, correct?

Back