What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera sessilifolia vs. drosera burmanni

Both Drosera burmanni and Drosera sessilifolia are members of the subgenus Thelocalyx, and both are characterized by a 5 part gynoecium, that is, the ovary is in 5 parts vs 3 parts as is common for most droserae.  This fact alone indicates that these species are very ancient forms.  The differences between the two may be seen mainly in the shape of the stigma: in burmanii this divides, and these divisions in turn split.  Drosera sessilifolia has a fan shaped stigma.

Experiments by Ivan Snyder have shown that the 2 species do, in fact, hybridize, and the resulting seed is fertile.  This is another example of how closely related the two species are.

Drosera sessilifolia is native to Brazil and Venezuela.  Seeds which I sent out are from collection made in Cerrado do Guimaraes, Brazil.  The plants habitat there is a boggy grassland Chaparral and the plants are found usually in the lower altitudes.  This seed was originally a gift from the Liberec Botanical gardens, from friend and colleuge Dr. Miroslav Studnicka.  Although this plant has been called the burmanni (joseph, did I spell it right this time) of Brazil, I find it to be very distinct in appearance when compared with burmanni, most notably in regards to the architecture of the scapes and the number of flowers.  Seed is not produced in abundance as is typical for burmanni,  but when it is  produced in my experience has a short viability, and is best sown without storage.  I now have a good crop of plants in cultivation, and look forward to sharing seed as soon (you listening Zach?) as it is produced.  I currently have 3 forms in cultivation, so it appears this species is as variable as burmanni across it's range.

Larry,
have the plants flowered for you yet?  Seems like I placed the seed of this in good hands!  With germination success like you have had I will for sure be placing some more rare material into your hands!

Hi Tamlin,

I had seen pics of sessilifolia and had noticed the similarity. The leaves of sessilifolia seem a little less blunt-ended though:

http://www.mcef.ep.usp.br/carnivo....995.jpg

Of course, from personal observations I can't have learned much yet- I've only grown burmanni. (hint hint)
wink.gif
It's interesting though how similar they are, being on totally different ends of the earth. What is the flower structure of d. glanduligera? Is this one also characterized by a 5 part gynoecium?

-noah

Tamlin,
The sessilifolia is very small, nowhere near the flowering size of a burmanni (I'm assuming both these plants grow to roughly the same size). I'll try to take a pic of it soon, just need to borrow a digicam with great macro abilities
wink.gif

Noah,

No, Drosera glanduligera is 3-merous like the other members of the genus, and is placed in a different section. In form it is reminiscent of burmannii

I hope to see D. glanduligera at last. Seed sown 121401 have germinated at last!

I will check and see if I have any seed of D. sessilifolia on hand. I generally do not store it. If not, I will take your hint and provide seed when next it is available. My plants flower throughout the year, so it should not be too long a wait.

Hi Tamlin,

Congratulations on the glanduligera seed! I've heard this is truly one of the hardest drosera seeds to get to germinate. You're getting to be quite a proficient!

As far as d. sessilifolia, it looks like I'm getting some from Larry, so don't worry about that, but thanks anyway!
smile.gif

oh, and Larry, I just got a digicam, if I can get a charger cable by next saturday I can take pics
smile.gif

-noah

Ok, here's a pic of D. sessilifolia growing amongst baby Cephalotus. Boy are these guys small
wink.gif

sessilifolia.jpg

Yup, Im listening Tamlin, thank you. Hmm...a South American confused with burmanii? I know that confusion is common in the "name-that-species-game", but isn't burmanii restricted to the Australian area? I know that some species like intermedia can spread to diff. places, can anyone inlightne me on this concept? Thanks-Zach

Back