What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tuberous drosera

Hey Martin,

When your plants go dormant, do you remove the tubers or allow them to remain in the pots?

I usually remove them because often the new tubers are directly at the bottom of the pot (sometimes even they are growing through the holes and build in the tray) which is not ideal if you water the plant through the tray system during the next growing season.

Also "harvesting" the tubers is always very exciting and you can better check for new growth in autumn if you store the tubers in small zip-lock bags.

But for the plants it's propably better if you can grow them in really deep pots for two or three years without disturbing them.

Martin

Martin,

You mentioned that you grow some tuberous sundews wet all year around. Do you still remove the tubers after serveral years even if they don't go dormant? Thanks.

Hi,

the only tuberous Drosera which I grow for more than three "seasons" and the only species which I kept really wet during summer is Drosera auriculata. (There have been some of them even growing in a Darlingtonia pot)
These plants also go dormant and build tubers during summer (triggered by increasing temperatures(?) and daylength), even if kept on the tray system.

Martin

Martin,

I see... I noticed that my D. peltata that I have had for last year, various tubers seemed to go dormant at various times. This make it difficult to transplant the tubers when there's always some active growth.

Maybe this year will be different as the plants might have acclimated to my growing conditions.

Back