What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi everyone, I'm new to the Forum and need your help.

I have a pot containing two drosera capillaris - one of which is perhaps 6 months older than the other. Other than aphids early in the year (which only affected the now-sickly one), both have done well all summer.

Recently the older one has turned from green to dark, dark red and stopped producing "dew".  This coincides with it producing around 6 flower stalks, all of wich grew but never flowered (the tops turned brown). At the same time, few new leaves have formed, although there is a large clump of immature leaves at the center. Those that have formed are "dry" and mishapen.

The other plant, which is in the same pot and 3 inches away is just fine. It is light green with lots of dew.  It's even in flower.

What could be wrong with my "child"?  Is it just old age?  Has it reached the end of its life? I don't think it's environmental, as the younger plant is doing fine.

The plants are in humid Atlanta, GA, on an east-facing terrace. They are in a bog with other species of plants, all of which are fine. They get direct sun from sunrise until 2
wow.gif
0 PM, after which they have indirect sun. The soil they are in is 7" deep, with standing, distilled water constantly in the bottom 1.5".

There is a mat of growing green moss (as opposed to slime) on top of the soil. It's quite pretty, but I hope it isn't hurting them.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I believe that is a fungus problem. There is a fungus that attacks D. nidiformis that does exactly what you describe "turns all red and loses dew" Clearies 3336 fungicide is said to clear that up.

Good Luck
Steve

That sounds like what was happening to my capensis. Its leaves were brown and turned red towards the centre. Flower stalks also turned brown before flowering. However, I never did find any thing which resembled fungus on it. Perhaps I just missed it. Happily tho, new growth has occurred and these seem healthy. Good luck!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (vft guy in SJ @ Sep. 07 2003,02:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I believe that is a fungus problem. There is a fungus that attacks D. nidiformis that does exactly what you describe "turns all red and loses dew" Clearies 3336 fungicide is said to clear that up.

Good Luck
Steve[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Thanks. I'll try that. I just hope the healthy one stays that way!

Hi Terminus, What you are describing is exactly what is happening to my D.alicae...except for the turning red part.
It had produced five "pups" from runners and I thought that it was dying from exhaustion.
I have taken it out of the water tray and let it drain well for four days...occasional light top watering only...one new leaf has sprouted, less mishapen than the others and a little dew is starting to come back.
I do not keep my D. Capillaris in a water tray and it produced seeds that sprouted into a mat of hundreds of little seedlings so thick that I have no idea how I will seperate them when it comes time to transplant.
smile.gif

Yep, thats a fungus. I've had it several times. If you see your leaves suddenly turn red and the tentacles become dry and deformed, thats a sign of fungus. I've tried to find out what kind of fungus it is, but no answers so far. As mentioned, spray it with a fungicide and that should clear it up. It won't save the damaged leaves but if its not too far gone, you should see new growth appear. Then just trim off the dead material. It might be a sign you need more air circulation (depending on where you have your plants).

Good luck with your plants and...WELCOME TO THE FORUMS! Hope you stick around and have fun.
smile.gif

Suzanne

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (pond boy @ Sep. 08 2003,01:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">WELCOME TO THE FORUMS![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Thanks. I'm happy to be here.

As a child I was infatuated with carninvorous plants - sadly, I found it very difficult to keep them alive in a wood-heated home in Vermont. As such, I lost interest out of frustration.

Then, last spring, I saw some s. purpurea and s. wrigleyana in a local garden shop and bought them - starting a new patio bog in humid Atlanta. I was pleased to find that these plants are much easier to grow here than in Vermont. Practically all I need to do is water them and they are happy. They even over-winted outside just fine.

The passion is back.

And yet another sad testimonial as to how hard this addiction is to kick. Welcome to the forums!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

A belated welcome from me as well, I have been without a computer for over a month and am just now responding. I can tell you, if you have the desire to grow these plants, there are ways around everything I am living proof of that. I remember visiting Phil Sheriden at Meadowview and was amazed to seed him growing Drosera in the same room as a wood stove used for heating. The real key I think is getting the plants to come from seed. This way they are already acclimated to your conditions. So, fire up your enthusiasm and have at it! Just remember, the plants will come and go, prosper and wane. Don't let the few discouragements affect you too much: with each failure you learn a little more and that's part of the fun of the hobby.

Now if I can just follow my own advice I will be doing good
;-) It has been a hard summer for me and the plants.

Back