Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D. burmannii

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

I want to start some D. Burmannii from seed. Does anyone know how fast they grow? Also are they good Drosera to start from seed? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img] Any suggestions on how to grow them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

as most Drosera, they grow a little slow on first, then they grow moderatly fast, well in my case!. I would recommand to get them in seeds, since you'll end with more plants, and this one is considered as an annual, so one day or another you'll have to sow them again! It is easy to cultivate, and the germination rate/speed is really increased with heat and high humidity, although it is not necessary (aka you can sow them as others sundews). hope this help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe seed is the only way to propagate this species,as leaf and root cuttings both fail on this species!
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    burmanni is a nice little drosera. It grows relativly fast from seed, as it is an annual, but i have had a single plant for about 2 years without it dying back. Just scatter seed on a mix of peat/sand and place in well lighted area.
    Taproot, Anti-Flag, The Casualties, Alkaline Trio, Eleventeen, Deadsy, AFI...what's not to love?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Zach:

I had a question about D. burmanii: Do they self fertilize to produce seeds?? or one has to help them to achieve this goal?

thanks

Agustin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Augustin,

My form of Drosera burmannii (red plants, from Bangalore, India) self pollinates to produce seeds ( no manual intervention required! ), but I can't say whether this would be true for all forms / locations / clones of this species - I expect that all forms are self fertile though, but this is the only form I grow at the moment.
    Kind regards,

Adam.
    Wales, UK [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    I'm mainly interested in Drosera, Dionaea & Aldrovanda, Hardy Orchids (esp Dactylorhiza), Arums and Ericas (Heaths/Heathers - European + S.African)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, does anyone know what the red forms are called?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drosera burmannii will self sow seed very well, and all forms I have grown have been like this. After a season it no longer became necessary to sow seed to maintain this annual in my collection, it did it all on it's own and continues to do so.

As to the red form: so far there are no legitimately published cultivars of this species, so correct reference would be simply the scientific binomial: Drosera burmannii. There are several forms in circulation worthy of cultivar registration in my opinion. There is a red form "Piliga Red" (hope I spelled that right&#33[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img] also a large rosetted all green form "Beerwah" Both names refer to the area where the plants were collected.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast