What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Germinating pink flowered spatulata seeds

Any tricks or specifics that I need to know to germinate these seeds?

Btw: Thanks a bunch LA Traphole, much appreciated.

Casper

Casper,
these are REALLY easy to get going. Just sprinkle them over the medium where you want them to grow (usually in a pot
wink.gif
), and keep them warm and moist for 4 to 6 weeks.

Casper, You're so welcome I really hope they germinate!(please let me know what happens). Good Luck

D. spatulata is a weed in my collection, in fact I need to repot soon to remove this "pest" from the surface of the pots of my other species of Drosera. You will have NO problem with germination. LOL! Not only will it set seed, it will also freely dump them everywhere. This is a result of the nature of the seed pod. In D. spatulata the sepals (the small leaves that formed at the bast of the flower) do not close around the seed pod, but sort of peel away and back. If you look down on one of these pods, it makes a star like effect: the sepals fold back. This means the fruit is hanging right there waiting for a little breeze to shake the scape, unlike other species that seal shut after the flower closes, keeping the fruit contained. The star like look is a good way to tell D. spatulata from other pink flowered rosetted species.

It may be a weed, but a well grown D. spatulata is a beautiful plant! I have had some forms as large around as a drink cup, and some smaller than a dime when mature. There are many different expressions of color and form: flowers that vary from the pink of D. capensis, to an ever paler pink, and sometimes white (especially if from New Zealand).

It seems like everytime I germinate a supposed exotic species, it turns out to be D. spatulata, so I have accumulated quite a variety of them over time. Sigh. Probably this is in part due to the weedy nature of the species: perhaps someone with D. communis or the like once selected a juvenille spatulata weed from their pot of D. communis and sent it out with good intentions, and so it spread from grower to grower, always in good faith, but dead wrong in ID, LOL.

Tamlin's rule of thumb: if it looks like it might be D. spatulata it probably is.

I just felt like raphsodizing about D. spatulata. No "h", but you already knew *tat*

Back