Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leaves Turning Brown!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, who wants to visit a forum about ppl with dying plants? they wouldnt get as many results... Plus, if they post in the forum according to what plant they have that is dying, they'll get more results...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

I think it would be a great idea to have a forum just for dying plants. Especially for newies like me who seem to have problems every other day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone have the just tips of drosera spears turn brown?? There's no pattern... like it isn't just old ones doing it. Hmmm. .I have it planted with a nepenthes... maybe its underwatered?

Yeah, i think i a sick/dying sub-category for each forum might be a good idea (big grin)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

Hey Whispersiren? (sorry if it's wrong), I think it's just the old ones taht die and the ones that have caught a lot of bugs. Some say to remove them and some say to let them be. I personally let them be because it becomes compost and it's good for babies. Like I all ready posted on here babbling about my babies growing out of the dead leaves on my rotufondila (spelling again)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the old leaves from your Droserae are "composting" there are some real problems associated with this: compost forms as an action of nitrobacter: a microscopic bacteria that breaks down organic compounds and releases nitrogen. Ideally, this should be entirely absent from your substrate, as it is absent from the habitats where these plants have evolved. You do not want nitrogen or other nutrients to be added to the substrate, just the opposite(&#33, and old leaves should not break down at all if the bacteria isn't present. Old leaves present other problems: they are food for various fungi that will grow on them. The humid conditions of terraria are perfect to grow molds and fungi, and these in turn can attack healthy leaves, and even at times spread like wildfire, destroying the plants and moss in the terraria in a matter of days. I recommend that you remain very attentive to this, and remove your dead leaves. Outside in habitat other factors are at play which discourages fungi, but in terraria life is much different.

Growing Droserae well means maximizing all conditions as much as possible. Even though the individual details may not seem like much, it's these small things that result in healthy robust plants. Providing good water, the correct day/night temperature, nutrient free substrate, adequate light, ample space, good air circulation, and changing the water in the trays frequently, flushing the pots from above on occasion all contribute to good growing.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

Hey, thanks Tamlin. God, you know a lot. I'll start trimming off the leaves. I thought taht it would be good for em' you know add nutrients to the soil. Live and learn, right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Shauntel,
    Remember, these plants evolved the ability to eat insects because there was nothing in the soil to "eat." I know that sometimes the roots can actaully get "burned," like if you use mircale grow. Not good.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12