What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaves Turning Brown!

Some of the leaves on my drosera are turning this orangy brown along the edges. Most of the plant looks healthy. What could it be from? How much light do drosera spathulata need in a terrarium setting? Maybe it's getting too much? It's not getting direct...
confused.gif

Sounds like low humidity. Most droserae like spathulata prefer high humidity in the 70's and greater.

Is it the newer leaves turning brown, or just the older ones near the bottom? The older ones will die as new ones replace them. Since most of the plant looks healthy, I just thought I would add this...

I just looked to see if it was just the old ones and it looks like it's new and old. And it seems that more and more of the plant is getting brown. How would I get the humidity up. It's in a terrarium and i spray distilled water in the terrarium (not directly on the plant) but on the glass and on the soil surrounding the plant. I don't want to have to put another plastic thing over it in the terrarium because then it won't be able to catch any food but I will if that's the only alternative. Any one no of any way?

Sounds odd that even the new leaves are turning brown. older ones always turn brown sooner or later. An easy way to increase humidty is by taking a water bottle, cutting the top off (like 3 inches starting from the top), on screw the top, and place it over the plant. Insect can still get in from the top and when a flower stalk comes up, it can grow out of the opening. Mist the sides and palnt when under the cobver. good luck-Zach

I had that problem with my D. adelae. I originally had mine out in the open air and later found out it was the humidity. The new leaves would come out and no due was on the leaves then the leaf would soon die. So, I threw out the bigger Adelae into the woods and had a little shoot coming up. After that bought a 10 gallon fish tank stuck it in to see what would happen. Now I have 12 in one 8' inch pot. It has been one year now since I have had the Adelae. I would just keep on trying new ideas until something works.
smile.gif
Hope that helps a little.

travis

Hey everyone I finally figured out the problem and thought I'd let everyone know that it was actually my repotting job. Sad, huh? They were all in such a tight cluster that some of them weren't eve in the ground and so they were dying. I'd never seen a sundew in person before so I didn't realize that there were actually nine plants in the cluster. Live and learn. Thanks again.

I was wondering if we could have a forum for people that have questionsa obut dieing plants, becasue there seems to be so many, it could be usefull to have its own forum. no offence to anyone!

well, who wants to visit a forum about ppl with dying plants? they wouldnt get as many results... Plus, if they post in the forum according to what plant they have that is dying, they'll get more results...

I think it would be a great idea to have a forum just for dying plants. Especially for newies like me who seem to have problems every other day.

Anyone have the just tips of drosera spears turn brown?? There's no pattern... like it isn't just old ones doing it. Hmmm. .I have it planted with a nepenthes... maybe its underwatered?

Yeah, i think i a sick/dying sub-category for each forum might be a good idea (big grin)

Hey Whispersiren? (sorry if it's wrong), I think it's just the old ones taht die and the ones that have caught a lot of bugs. Some say to remove them and some say to let them be. I personally let them be because it becomes compost and it's good for babies. Like I all ready posted on here babbling about my babies growing out of the dead leaves on my rotufondila (spelling again)

If the old leaves from your Droserae are "composting" there are some real problems associated with this: compost forms as an action of nitrobacter: a microscopic bacteria that breaks down organic compounds and releases nitrogen. Ideally, this should be entirely absent from your substrate, as it is absent from the habitats where these plants have evolved. You do not want nitrogen or other nutrients to be added to the substrate, just the opposite(&#33
wink.gif
, and old leaves should not break down at all if the bacteria isn't present. Old leaves present other problems: they are food for various fungi that will grow on them. The humid conditions of terraria are perfect to grow molds and fungi, and these in turn can attack healthy leaves, and even at times spread like wildfire, destroying the plants and moss in the terraria in a matter of days. I recommend that you remain very attentive to this, and remove your dead leaves. Outside in habitat other factors are at play which discourages fungi, but in terraria life is much different.

Growing Droserae well means maximizing all conditions as much as possible. Even though the individual details may not seem like much, it's these small things that result in healthy robust plants. Providing good water, the correct day/night temperature, nutrient free substrate, adequate light, ample space, good air circulation, and changing the water in the trays frequently, flushing the pots from above on occasion all contribute to good growing.

Hey, thanks Tamlin. God, you know a lot. I'll start trimming off the leaves. I thought taht it would be good for em' you know add nutrients to the soil. Live and learn, right.

Shauntel,
Remember, these plants evolved the ability to eat insects because there was nothing in the soil to "eat." I know that sometimes the roots can actaully get "burned," like if you use mircale grow. Not good.

Back