Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lowrie order

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joachim

Are you a 100% sure on that they are illegally collected? it's a fairly strong statement if you are not. He has a Permit to export tubers from Australia from the Australian Dept. of Environment who are certainly stricter with the export of their flora and fauna than most countries, presumably they checked him out. Also, it's certainly much easier to produce tubers in W. Australia than anywhere else in the world (costs in climate control = 0), and the tubers he sells are, from the two I've received, reasonably sized, but, by no means, full sized when compared to the pictures in his books.

Vic
    They say that money talks, but all it ever says to me is goodbye.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joachim,

What is your stance if the seeds were wild collected as well?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi people
    I think also that the tubers from the wild. The tubers of Drosera stolonifera and erythrorhiza are so big it will take more then 5 years to grow them for seeds. And the prices for tubers which are from cultivation are extreamly high (Kamil Pasek www.bestcarnivorousplants.com sells small Invitro tuberous Droseras each sort costs 15 EUR). Two members from the GFP (the German Carnivorous plant society) visit him in Western Australia Siggi Hartmeyer and Holger Hennern and they said he hasn`t any glashouse or anything other for growing. I called Holger last time and he told me that he think that the gemmae which he sells are also from the nature BUT he cut the old plants (some of them very high) and take them to home and removed the gemmae.
    I think it is important that only people who cultivate Tuberous Droseras (for a few years) shall order by him. BUT it`s also wight that each who order by him know that the tubers from nature and they are valuable. A example Drosera zonaria (costs 10 AUD by A. L. ) Holger visited the location and he said this plant is exreamly rare on the location.

I know that the seducation is very big to order by him but you must know that some of the plants are very rare at the location and it would be extreamly imbecile if the plant died at someone. If in addition the people order tubers of rare tuberous most of all Drosera zonaria the location will die.

Greets from Germany
    Julian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sent you a pm Griff.

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]
    Lithops care info: If you take care of it, it will die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Emesis,

The seed is wild collected, I'm pretty sure. I don't know who collects the Aussie stuff, but Lowrie trades what he has, for what he does not have, so people all over the world collect naticve seed in their countries and trade with him.
    It's a tough, ethical question and we can only hope that the collectors are leaving plenty in the wild. If stuff was never collected from the wild, we would not have anything. Just pray that it's responsable.

Regards,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

wait, so does this guy wild collect or tend to a wild collection (aka plants cared for in native home located on his own land) I mean, if he sells native plants, he could also easly have an outdoor plantation.
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Griffin,

people all over the world collect naticve seed in their countries and trade with him.[/QUOTE]

So not only is he possibly reducing the native population, others are possibly doing the same thing in their own part of the world in order to trade w/ him.

I can see if he collects 10-20% of the seed produced, it wouldn't be too detrimental.

I think collecting from the wild reponsibly is necessary for research, but not strickly for profit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JOE,

CANCEL MY ORDER
    George McKay

In The End We are All Dead
    Florida

9. Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast