What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing D. binata from seed

Hello all! I recently aqquired some Drosera binata seed from the ICPS seed bank, and have read about it, but I am curious as to if anyone has anything more "personalized" i.e: what to watch out for, treatment, stratification, etc. Unfortunately, I still can't find species specific information...  
confused.gif
wink.gif
Thanks!!!!
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif

Hi there,

grow it like you would most other sundews, Drosera capensis in particular.

One interesting thing is that young Drosera binata form leaves that look very similar to those of Drosera intermedia. Don't be fooled though, after a few weeks the end of the lamina will begin to widen and soon you will have your genuine forks
smile.gif

good luck!

-noah

Thanks, but is there a stratification? It is temperate...
confused.gif
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif

I have never found the need, the seed germinates without it, and the plants can become weedy in collections.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. I had some sprout in an order I received in the mail.....and I think they were in the VFT pot (well, at least one was). I think another was in the S. purpurea pot....don't remember exactly. The point is that I didn't even know the seed was there! I got four sprouts, and I killed three of them
mad.gif
sad.gif

Luckily one seems to have made it....
biggrin.gif

Here is the D. binata germination guide from the ICPS. I know many of you probably have already been here, but this is for the others who have not.

Drosera binata germination guide.

I just planted some D. binata T-form seeds on 4/17/2003. Keep me posted on how yours do, I will do the same.

Thanks, Nick! That's the only one that I did see, did you get your seed from the seed bank, too? (if so, is it N.Z. or typical)
confused.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif

The only information on the seed packet from the ICPS is: Drosera binata T-form.

OK! I got it today
alien.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
I will sow today!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif

Guess what?? ?? ? I have three little plants poking out now, several more will be here by tomorrow!!
biggrin.gif

smile.gif

alien.gif
 They are in a pretty small tray thingie right now, when/how should I transplant? *spins around in happy circles* YYYYAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

smile.gif

alien.gif

I forgot to say that they are in 50% peat/50% sand, and 100% humidity or at least, 90%, and, yes, there was fungicide involved.
confused.gif
Thanks!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

Well, I have not been paying attention to my D. binata seeds. They have sprouted and they have been growing for some time. My guess is about 2 weeks.

How tall are they, and have they been repotted? Thanks!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

UPDATE, UPDATE!!
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif
confused.gif
rolleyes.gif
As of now, there are about fifteen seedlings of naked eye visibility, and about five more visible to perfect vision (like mine), or under 4x magnification. They look like tiny green forks
smile.gif
and are around 2mm tall, at most
rolleyes.gif
confused.gif
wink.gif
Can't wait to have these guys everywhere!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif
wow.gif
tounge.gif

Back