Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dormant pygmies?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Hello,
    I recieved 7 D. dichrosepalas yesterday, they look kinda bad, how can I tell wheter they're dormant or just dead/dying? They have no leaves but but most of them are still very green.
    Also I think I put too much sand in their soil mix and planted them in an undrained pot, should I change the mix and put them in a different pot?

Thanks for the help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they are still green, and if they have a cone-like stucture with white hairs in the center, I would think they are dormant. I grow a few pygmies in undrained containers, and the only thing is that you must be very very careful with watering i.e. dont keep them soaked all the time.

Hope this helps!
    Cole
    Duele no tenerte cerca, duele no escuchar tu voz. Duele respirar tu ausencia, pero, duele más decirte adiós.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait...dichrosepala what? Plants or gemmae? If they look like seeds, only softish and green, it's gemmae, they're fine, just put them on the substrate.

How much sand is too much btw?
    Lithops care info: If you take care of it, it will die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Oh no I don't have any gammae yet. (hope I will later this year to fill my pot). The plants do have white hair like-stuff on them. By too much sand I mean that the surface of the soil gets kinda hard when it dries. It doesn't look to me like that they have any cone-like

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. dichrosepala wants a good deal of sand as it is summer sensitive in my collection. Mine are in a 70% sand/peat mix. If there are no traps on your plants, you should aim at a dry surface with some moisture available to prevent the roots from dying, so an undrained pot is not a good plan. Losses are high for me after summer dormancy, but usually a few plants survice. Good luck!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dichrosepla is a drosera that appreciates sandier mixes. 60%-40 peat is what i have mine in. If the plant is still green, it is still alive. As Tamlin said, be careful about watering. Misting the soil once in awhile sounds good. Good luck
    Taproot, Anti-Flag, The Casualties, Alkaline Trio, Eleventeen, Deadsy, AFI...what's not to love?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

Hello everyone,

My 3 pygmy sundews are in summer dormancy in my kitchen windowsill ( western Washington, USA ). They are:
    nitidula x pulchella
    occidentalis ssp. occidentalis
    palacea ssp. roseana

The soil is completely dried out, and hard. I only water them from the tray once or twice a week and the soil sucks up the water in just 5 or so min. They are producing some tufts of white hair, but some are still flowering
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif[/img] and ALL still have their dew droplets. My point is: They are very tough in general and love a sandy mixture. I believe I read in the Savage Garden that you should not transplant them, at all! They have very delicate roots... in my case just a small tray of water once/twice a week keeps them from dessicating. So, go easy on them, let them enjoy hot weather and give them pleanty of moisture and lower the photoperiod in the fall then you'll be set!

-Homer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Tamlin, What do you mean by summer sensitive?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast