What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera nidiformis

Hi Christian,

Yor are right, but although the name D. intermedia 'roraima' is not a legitimately published species, you could make it legitimate by registering this name as a cultivar.

I have registered several names, and the process requires no more than an adequate description of what makes this species unique, or appealing to you - along with a photo - sent via email to Dr. Jan Schlauer or Dr. Barry Meyers-Rice for publication in the ICPN.

Thank you for the photos of this plant! Please feel free to post photos from your collection any time you like, especially the less common Brazillian and South African species.

Hi,

When it comes to the D. intermedia "roraima" isn't it to overdo things to talk about valid names or cultivars, when it simply could be that it is a D. intermedia that originates from Mount Roraima?

Or is it something with this plant that differs when compared to other D. intermedia forms?

Regards,

Christer

I suppose it depends if you feel the plant is different. I think that genetic "heritage" is a very important concern. The positive side of registering the name is that it will provide a visual reference for the plant. If you plan on distributing the material, then this makes sense. You ask if the "roraima" material different than other intermedia: it was different enough that it has this name appended to it when it came from your source, and I am sure that you will keep that name attached when you send it out. According to the ICBN rules, the only way this information may be appended in a legitimate way is through registering the name as a cultivar, with a photo. Until this is done, the plant could be any variety of D. intermedia from any locality. If the only difference in where this material originated from, I still feel this is a significant difference, and worthy of conserving. I can't say if the ICPS would find this to be so as well, but the opportunity is there for anyone who cares to take it.

Hi,

I also feel that genetic heritage (location data) is important, there's no question about that, and don't get me wrong registering cultivars can be helpful when it comes to plants with questionable (untraceable) background and specific traits.

The reason I reacted was the suggestion to register the D. intermedia "roraima" as a cultivar. I could be wrong though since I don't grow this particular plant, but in my eyes it looks like a normal form of this species. Is it not possible that the collector who distributed this plant only wanted to indicate from where it was collected and nothing more, that is D. intermedia, Mt Roraima. If a form is virtually indistinguishable from the type description why even bother registering it, any visual reference will not be helpful in that case.

In the case where the location data is present, I think it would be a disservice to the hobby to create new names, at least when a plant show no specific trait (only genetic). I think we have enough name problems as it is. The thing is, I'm not sure people will be more careful labelling a plant just because it's a cultivar, at least not when it concerns drosera. If a grower doesn't feel it is important to keep the location data on a plant, then I'm not sure he/she will make the effort to include the cultivar name either. Well maybe if someone would give the plant a fancy/catchy name.

One important thing, as I see it, is to educate people the importance of including location data when such is provided by a source. As a grower I can only include this info when I trade a plant/seed and hope that the person on the receiving end do the same.

As I have stated above, when it comes to plants with dubious origin, like all the different sp. "Malawi" and sp. "Auyan Tepui" which is being circulated, it would be nice to find a solution to this problem, maybe with a cultivar status on some of them.

Sorry for drifting away from the original topic.

Regards,

Christer

Back