Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Drosera nidiformis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I remember correctly mine flowered pink.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Neps, Neps, Neps.........
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it makes any difference, my nidiformis seeds came from CEG and look identical to the photo on the first link above, ICPS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My D. nidiformis seeds came from the UK CPS seedbank manager. They were submitted to the seed bank as D. madagascariensis, but when germination tested, proved to be D. nidiformis and I was kindly given the pot. They look identical to the ICPS photo too, and flower pink.

Vic
    They say that money talks, but all it ever says to me is goodbye.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hm... so my white-flowered plant is not D. nidiformis after all?
    Or is there such a variety?

Best,
    Marcus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know of a white-flowered form. Your plants are most likely to be a tropical form of Drosera intermedia, they can look very similar in foliage and have white flowers.

Vic

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vic,

thanks for the reply. I already thought of D. intermedia, but I only had temperate forms to compare. The plant looks closer my D. nidiformis.

I have some poor quality pics online. I would be nice if you (all) could have a look:

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~mr30/cp/greenone.htm

Cheers,
    Marcus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still think D. intermedia is the mostly likely, but there are better sundew experts here than me. Take a look at a Brazilian form D. intermedia (Brazil).

It could also be the Cuban form Drosera intermedia (Cuba).

Vic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I cant make out the styles in the photo provided, it is highly unlikely that this is D. nidiformis, the lamina are too narrowly spathulate and the flower is the wrong color. I would go with D. intermedia as the determination. If a tropical var. (no hibernacula produced in season) then it is likely to be either D. intermedia Cuba or D. intermedia Brazil.
    My D. nidiformis have flowered always with a very deep pink, almost magenta colored flower born on very long thin and wiry scapes.

This is an old post. I have since learned that D. nidiformis "sp.Magaliesburg" was distributed and sold for over a decade by several nurseries over the world as D. madagascariensis. This problem is not likely to ever go away at this point, and all we can do is keep awareness up on this subject. For this reason, I am glad this post was brought up again.

D. nidiformis seed distributed by the ICPS produces smallish upright plants which attain a fine red coloration in good light. D. nidiformis "Magaliesburg" produces plants that are larger overall, with a spreading erect habit (but non-caulescent) stem. The color remains greenish even in strong light, the leaves turning only slightly golden with red on the glands only.

There also exists some confusion between D. nidiformis and D. collinsiae (did I spell that right this time?). I have had the latter plants prove to be D. nidiformis "Magaliesburg" as well, but this problem seems not as wide spread.

Regarding D. dielsiana and D. nidiformis: they are indistinguishable from each other based on floristics and seed details. This is a powerful argument for synonomy. You should also be aware that the distinctions between D. dielsiana and D. natalensis are not as black and white as Exel and Laundon make it seem in their protolouge, esp. where their range overlaps. D. dielsiana forms ready hyprids with both D. natalensis and D. nidiformis producing large amounts of fertile seed (Robert Gibson, Ivan Snyder Pers. Comm.) For my part, I have little doubt that there is involvement with either D. dielsiana or D. natalensis (or both) in the "Magaliesburg" D. nidiformis. In the end, we will learn more by studying what makes these numerous variations coming from South Africa the same, not by exploring what sets them apart.

Hopefully the publication of papers on the genetic phylogeny of the genus by Fernando Rivadavia and also by Vitor Olivera de Miranda based on L-ribsomal markers will shed some light on the confusing South African taxonomy. Observational taxonomy seems at best to be problematical within the Natalensis complex.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast