Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pygmy drosera id

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems that I'm bit behind in the picture scanning, but I have updated the broken D.C-I1.jpg and scanned the following picture.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tamlin

I'll just jump in on this topic a bit late.

Here are some pictures of my D. nitidula ssp. omissa x pulchella, the stigmas are blood red like the C1, but appear more club-shaped.

These are my C1 plants, no flowers yet, but very soon. I will watch them daily, I'm at home all day, so shouldn't miss them, and will post a clear picture. Here are the rosettes, which under my conditions appear very similar to the above hybrid.

Vic
    They say that money talks, but all it ever says to me is goodbye.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After reviewing the data, I am convinced that my C-1 plant matches the one in the picture.

I was going to mention how the C-1 rosette closely matches my D. x baderupii rosette, since I only have 4 surviving pygmy sundews types (which makes identification easier if 2 of them are the same). Also, the flowers are similiar.

I noticed that the D. x badgerupii plants have only 1 flower per stalk. Is the parentage of D. "Cabarup" not the same as D. x badgerupii?

Here are some old D. x badgerupii pictures.

Thanks for trying to solving this puzzle.

I found some more pictures at http://members.fortunecity.com/h7n/nitxocc/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, this is fun! Vic, the fact that the styles on D. nitidula x pulchella have thicker ends leads me to discount this hybrid.

Emesis, The other half of the parentage of "Lake Carbarup" is not known. In my collection, Lake Carbarup also forms more of a stipular cone, and this is evident in Vic's photo as well. You note that "Lake Badgerup" typically have single flowers which further confirms the determination of "Lake Carbarup"

In my collection, Lake Carbarup forms a larger rosette than Lake Badgerup" and personally I think it has a nicer character (although I love them all). It is also the more rare of the 2, so it looks like everyone made out well, and I can be glad I sent out this gemmae.

Nice work my friends! This is an admirable demonstration of just how valuable consensus opinion can be!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just remembered that there was a thread a while back by nick hubbell, he said he got a c-1 pygmy from william, and that he identified it! (I think) You might want to ask him about it [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tamlin,

I agree w/ your observations and opinions regarding D. x badgerupii vs D. "Carbarup". (I think the location isn't a lake.)

I am getting more impressed by the pygmy sundews each day. I grow most of my plants indoors by a sunny sliding glass door, but some of the pygmies growing outside seems to do very well.

D. pulchella X ericksoniae are growing much better in full blazing sun. (The indoor ones actually all died.) D. x badgerupii seems to need a bit more shading. Even D. capensis aren't doing as well as the D. pulchella X ericksoniae plants.

A good flower deserves another showing. Here are 2 more pictures taken today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Emesis,

Actually the Australian suffix -up refers to a lake, so I assume this population is/was found in such an area.

I just received gemmae from a newly found population of D. pulchella x nitidula "Lake Mayaup"

Sure seems to be a lot of -ups down under :-)

D. nitidula x ericksoniae is a man made hybrid produced by Allister Culham, and is both the largest and most gemmae producing of all the pygmys. When given good space and full sun the rosettes resemble members of the petiolaris complex, although lacking dendritic hairs.
    It is one of my favorites for sure.

All my pygmys do better outdoors, but I have noticed a combination method of indoor under lights for a couple weeks, then an out door stay, then a repeat cycle produced overall larger rosettes in most species. These forms are not typical I think. In the harsh Australian habitat the plants are usually much smaller. I hope to visit there someday to confirm this.

"Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone tried crossing scorpioides with ericksoniae? This would make a very nice hybrid...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast