Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry Summer Dormancies

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in the process of getting a D.paradoxa 'White Flower' from Cook's. I was wondering when it arrives, should I give it a dry summer dormancy? How do you induce dry dormancy on a petiolaris dew? Also, D'amto stated "if kept moist/wet year round, plants can be grown without a dormancy". Is that true. Any information needed. Thanks-Zach
    Taproot, Anti-Flag, The Casualties, Alkaline Trio, Eleventeen, Deadsy, AFI...what's not to love?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not grown any of the petiolaris complex but my best advice to you would be: Do not try to force dormancy on a plant, let it happen in its own time in its own way. I'd suggest you just keep it on the tray (or however you water them) and see what it does, if it starts to go dormant at some point them dry it slowly through reduced watering. YOu might want to try contacting someone in Australia through one of the Australian CP societies. Get as much habitat data as you can and maybe ask how they treat their dormant plants.

Just my 2 cents

Pyro
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cool, ill do that! Thanks-Zach!
    Taproot, Anti-Flag, The Casualties, Alkaline Trio, Eleventeen, Deadsy, AFI...what's not to love?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My advice on petiolaris dormancy is don't let them go dormant, keep the plants growing. I have been growing mine this way on the recommendation of other growers. I am told the dormancy in this complex is not obligatory, as with intermedia and rotundifolia, and that the plants do not really require it. So far so good for me! Remember, these plants like it very hot 100F is happy times for them. If things cool off too much the plants want to go dormant, so keep them hot! I keep my paradoxa well watered, but seldom sit it in water. Live moss/pearlite seems to work very well for me, they like a light and airy mix.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tamlin, so it will be perfectly fine to have my petiolaris complex dews get no dormancy, as stated by D'Amatao. Wait, rotundfoila dont need one a cold winter dormancy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Petiolaris are very different from temperate species, like rotundifolia. The temperate forms MUST have a dormancy or they will waste away, but the petiolaris do ok without this. I am still learning about how to best cultivate the petiolaris group. None of my plants have been under my cultivation for a whole year yet, so I am only going by what I hear from other growers. Maybe Matt could help with more detailed information as I believe he cultivates a number of these plants.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zach,

I received the same advice as Tamlin and have not pushed my petiolaris complex plants into dormancy. For some it is going on 4 years and I have seen no adverse effects to date.

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i was wondering what the dormancy requirements are for spathulata and adelae are,does anyone know?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast