What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D.nidiformis?

ok, i got from pingguy a packet of d.nidiformis seeds(i asked for d.capensis but he sent me the nidifornis and spatulata as well) my question is how to germinate them and what type of sundew is nidiformis? also i`d like to see a pic of one. thanks, noah

Hi,

Drosera nidiformis is a south-african Drosera. You can sow the seeds immediately. Provided, that they are fresh, they will germinate well. This species is not hard to cultivate. It likes lots of light. You can keep it warm for the whole year.

Here are some pictures of mine :

Christian

Here is a link to the ICPS germination guide. It has both D. nidiformis and D. spatulata pages. As well as some others. There are also pics there. ICPS guide

Good luck
Steve

nidiformis is a very easy Drosera, so is spatulata. Just scatter seeds over a mix of moist peat/sand, keep well lighted and humid. They should grow really fast. They don't require a dormancy.

but tamlin said to keep drosera seeds out of the light until they germinate
confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (pond boy @ Sep. 02 2003,5:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">but tamlin said to keep drosera seeds out of the light until they germinate
confused.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I think ceph says light to have warmth?
confused.gif
I dont see why you should keep them dark
confused.gif

Here is the page where Tamlin basically outlines how to sow Drosera seeds. 10 types of Drosera seeds

Spec, You dont really want them in direct light cause of algae growth

Steve

Ok, i sowed the seed on sterilized medioum in a closed container, and placed this on a heat pad set to medium. i`ll let ya now when they start sprotin` (pray they do there 2 months old) how long does germination take on average ?, and how long does it take for them to grow adult leaves on average?

heat pad is really not necessary. I mean, it speeds up the germination rate, but other then that, not much. Dudes, nidiformis, and almost all other spouth african drosera are extremly easy to sow and grow. Just scatter on your medium, place in a baggie or something to retain moisture, and wait  
tounge.gif

PS: germination usually depends on the age of seeds, but this can be far from it. I have had 1 year old packs of Drosera macrantha seeds germinate and grow before (the plant growth number was low though, a few seeeds probably went bad).

The heat pad won`t hurt though, right?

The heat pad might be a bit much except for members of the Petiolaris complex, you dont want to cook the seeds, just to keep them warm, say around 70-75F. Night time drops in temps. sometimes discourage some species from germinating, but don't overdo it :)

This is alittle of topic but I have D. Nid seedlings but they are red.  I heard this is casued by fungus? Is this true? Can they be saved with a fungucide or is it too late?

Len, I believe that Clearies 3336 will clear that up. Here is what the ICPS guide says: "The plant is very susceptible to a fungus that causes the plant to turn all red and loose it's dew. A systemic fungicide such as Clearies 3336 can be effective unless the fungus becomes resistant from spraying too often. Do not use fungicide on a regular basis as that results in selecting for resistance. If this happens, use dusting sulfur."

Good luck
Steve

Len

If you have that fungus the tentacles will not only be dry but will look kinda deformed and twisted. As mentioned a fungicide will clear it up but won't save the affected leaves. New growth should be fine.

Suzanne

Is there dew on the tentacles? There is a red form of D. nidiformis as well as the more green form in the above photos. If there is dew, don't worry - otherwise cleary's may help.

Back