What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sundew Catches Flie

Today at 2:59 exactly I observed my D. burmanii colony catch an adult House flie!! It had been flying around my house for about 2 days and then it made the foolish mistake of entering my bed room . It went straight for my sundew display and that was that.

You have D.Burmannii? ####, I wish i had one! I have never found a website with one on it. Pretty cool though!
smile.gif

<i>D. burmannii</i> is a short-lived annual, which is probably why you've never seen it offered anywhere.
smile.gif
I ordered some seeds from the ICPS seedbank, and plan to attempt to grow this neat little sundew. One of the coolest things about it is its long retentive glands, which can close around prey in less than a minute!

Dang straight it closes fast. That flie didn't know what hit it. Havron I got my seeds my seeds from the ICPS. lol

Cool. Any tips for germinating?

They'll sprout on long fibered sphagnum or plain peat moss.
If the seeds get %1OO humidity they'll get moldy so keep it lower. They'll germinate at a wide verity of temps but I used Highland nep temps a little on the warm side. BTW, I got near %100 germination with this.

(Edited by Tristan at 2:37 am on Mar. 28, 2002)

Sure hope somebody has these seeds for our seed bank
smile.gif

havron, Tristan, I also got mine from the ICPS seedbank!
smile.gif

I think a good idea is to give Brittnacher a small donation (I gave &#365). When I did this, he gave me the "Beerwah" form is addition to Pilliga Red.

And when our respective plants flower, we'll be able to send some off to the PFT organ.

Pleasantness! :biggrin: heh heh

Chris

I also got some burmanii seeds, although not from icps.
I sowed them a few days ago, hope they germinate. Wish me luck!
smile.gif

fellow burmanii growers...
wink.gif

Larry, what conditions are you keeping the seeds in? With plenty of warmth, light, and moisture, germination will be 90%+.

Not too warm, around 68 degrees during the day outside.  I covered the tray with plastic wrap and poked some holes in it.  I tried sowing some other Drosera seeds but did not poke holes and left it in a darker place, it got attacked by fungus and I don't know if any will sprout.  Oh, and I top watered so most got buried
sad.gif

I've learned my lesson, so I have confidence in these seeds
smile.gif

Your setup sounds good, but you may be keeping them a little too cool. Optimum temperature is 80F. This may be why you had a problem with damp-off.

Back