What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should i let my sundew flower?

Wesley

God must have an interesting sense of humor
I have had a sundew since it was almost impossible to see it was so small. That was around January,2002. It is trying to flower; should i let it flower?
sad.gif

Sure but you can expect it to lose dew, and slow down a bit. It ownt die though...

What kind is it? If it is a temperate sundew, and it was awake in january, I wouldnt let it flower, it may need its sleep...

If its tropical, go on ahead...

Kind of along the same topic lines.. I just recieved a D. intermedia in the mail a few weeks ago and it's got an inflorescence. It's just been sitting there in it's terrarium since I recieved it with no dew or anything. So should I take off that flower stalk? Will that help it adjust to it's new conditions better?

It is a Drosera Spathulata (i think i spelled that right). So should I let it flower?
confused.gif

Oh i have a drosera spathulata also, and it seems to be finally adjusting now since i just had it shipped last week. It had 2 flower stalks already, and is sending up at least two more now. With all the shipping stress AnD flowering, it seems to be doing fine.

That's cool, mine also has two stalks.
smile.gif

My spathulata and adelae are sending stalks but the flower has not started to bloom. the adelae is only 1" tall and my tallest spathulata is about 5" tall. how tall will they get before the actually bloom?
smile.gif

It's spatulata. No "H". Sorry to nag, but I like to keep things straight
smile.gif
smile.gif

Oops, sorry for the mis-spelling, these longer names sometimes are harder to spell.
smile.gif

Wesley,
  Your not the only one who's spelled it with an 'H'.  Theres a lot of members that do.  It doesn't help matters to have a N. spathulata to confuse with D. sapatulata.

Thank-you.
biggrin.gif

Ahah I didn't even know I was misspelling it all this time since that's what i bought it as...So you're not alone Wesley.
Tamlin sounds like he knows a lot about drosera so I shall listen to him =]

Thank you class.
tounge.gif
This orthogenic error frequently is made, and is very easy to make. The rules of botanical nomenclature state that the person who originally publishes a new species determines the name. In this case, the author did not use an H, and this must stand. The describer of Nepenthes spatHulata did use the H. Both are correct as far as the latin meaning goes, so I hope no one will be offended if I continue to try to keep these things straight:)

Cheers!

We have all leaned something new today from Tamlin.
wink.gif

Now if I could just spell madagascariensis without having to look at the keys........

that's gotta be hard; i cant' even spell it without looking at it.
smile.gif

Back