Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Southen african drosera

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My neighbor from South Africa is a lithops grower (he inherited a farm with lots of nice kinds), and he emailed me wanting to start importing plants.

If there are any Southern African Drosera, or anything else anyone wants, make a list, and let's see what we can do. Lots of those growers are isolated, and don't have email, so maybe we can find something that isn't readily available here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate to presume but this sounds an awful lot like an encouragment of wild collecting. Remember that almost all species of CP are threatened in some form or other and I do believe that many of the S. African species are extremly rare. Please correct me if I am wrong, I am just not too sure about having a post that seems to be endourcing a practice that could result in more threat to these magnificent plants.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the case of South Africa, they are as strict as a first world country, in my experience stricter than the USA. There are lots of hobbyists over there that have things legally. It's just that information doesn't flow so readily in places where the telephone connections are like what you see on the Andy Griffith show.

So in Zambia or somewhere maybe, but not likely if going through South Africa.

Africa isn't synonomous with crime and lack of concern for the environment, although it's easy to think that way due to our media coverage of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tim, why don't you just find out what you can get and then let everone know.
    George McKay

In The End We are All Dead
    Florida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because it would be 50 times the work, and I'm not interested in a profit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tim,

I was not trying to imply that Africa is crime ridden. It was just that the wording seemed to be a little open ended and I wanted to make sure. If you say that the material is all legally collected and you are just try to work as a networking hub so to speak then I believe you.

I apologize if I came off as accusing, that was not my intent
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem. South Africa did the first heart transplant, etc...and everything in Agriculture and Horticulture is European standard or better, it's just the communication systems that are lousey. The more plants we have scattered all over the world, though, the better. I thought of Drosera because of ease of shipping gemmae.

Regards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure that the S. African species produce gemmae. They are still good candidates though because most have very thick roots and can recover from them should the actual plant part die.

If I were to guess I would think that people would be interested in the winter growing species (cistiflora, pauciflora, hilaris, etc) but those are plants that are more for the advanced and experienced grower. You might want to check the tacked post at the top of the sundew forum started by Tamlin, I think it discusses almost all of the S. African species that people are interested it. Might want to try contacting Tamlin too as he would know better than I do what from there is good.

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast