User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dew has disappeared

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My D. Binata is just about to flower, but over the last week the dew has almost disappeared off the plant. Is this condition related? It's growing on a sunny windowsill and was fine a couple of weeks ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i am guessing that the humidity is not high enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When my rotundifolia was flowering it produced dew, but once it was gone, it was gone (ie. after digestion). Wind, humidity levels, and like aformentioned, flowering affect dew production...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Binata is also sensitive to sudden temperature drops which can initiate a "snap" dormancy. Are new leaves being produced? If not the plant may be experiencing such. It will grow again, and the new leaves will be dewy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have rescued a Drosera Aliciae from a garden centre as it's co-plants were already dead, and it was clinging onto life.

It was very dry when I got it and had no dew on the leaves at all.

I have repotted it (as there turned out to be 4 plants in the one 3" pot) and it is looking much healthier. It still hasn't got any dew on the leaves though. I have had it for about 5 days. Does this type of drosera not have much dew or do you think it is still recovering?

I have good humidity in the terrarium for my VFTs and drosera capensis (about 75%), is this enough for this type of drosera?

I also have have a small fan for air currents and 2 artifical lights in the setup.

Any replies welcome!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Oli,

Aliciae is a very dewy species, but is probably recovering from various shocks to its homeostasis. I have found for badly shocked plants, placing the whole pot and plant in a ziplock bag "hospital" in good light (but no direct sun) will often speed the recovery process. Aliciae is an easy grower that can stand a lot of abuse, so you should have no problem getting it back to it's very beautiful form.