Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help!

Marshfield, MA (US) USDA zone 6 cold-temperate coastal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw your signature Richard, and thought, huh? But you're also a Trekkie! I'm glad the Borg don't share that slogan with PFT! [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    So the fungus pictured is triggered by low light?
    Chris

(Edited by Dionaea Enthusiast at 11:35 pm on Jan. 21, 2002)

BoooOOOOooooo!!!!! unknownclown's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi again [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    I went back to where I got the pic and the fungus is fungal hyphae.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Clown

If I'm understanding correctly what I've read, hyphae isn't a type of fungus but a visible part of some fungi.

Richard, its entirely possible the fungus isn't botrytis. But again, from what I've read, botrytis manifests itself a little differently depending on the plant (grapes, roses, sundews). It's definitely not just a 'dew drying up. I've looked hard for an identification of the fungus but all I can find is a description of what happens to a sundew (turning red, drying up, curled tentacles). One person told me he loses sundews to this fungus every winter. In The Savage Garden, D'Amato says botrytis affects rosetted sundews (like mine) and "occurs in greenhouses mostly in winter" and appears as a "grey, fuzzy growth" which I think is the hyphae (which looks almost like fibers...see photo).

I dunno...I wish I could find more specifics but while there are tons of info on fungi, its not often related to CPs. I'm trying a fungicide, so I will see what happens. They will get close scrutiny tomorrow...Saturday mornings are "plant time" (as well as laundry time, taking out trash time, washing stuff in sink time....). I'd rather just play with the plants. :-)

Suzanne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PlantAkiss, Botrytis is one of those things that strikes fear into all CP growers hearts and before I had a case of it I used to think that all fuzzy growth was it! Trust me! Once you get it you are not gonna mistake it for anything else! You dont see it until it starts to produce spores, then its usually too late. Its very thick grey/white and sreads rapidly. (One of my Drosera Filliformis has got it. i'll try to take a photo). If you have ever seen a really mouldy piece of bread with the great smelly tufts of mould with the little dots on the end, That is what botrytis looks like!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, I haven't had any fungal problems (My current war is with Aphids on my peppers) but I tell you what, Clearys and Banrot smell like death to me... I can't imagine any fungus surviving if you dunked the entire pot into the mix and let it soak for half an hour... that is just me though...

and as far as Aphids go... I got about 1500 lady bugs on the way... (When I get the job, hopefully on MOnday!)

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Richard,

It was my nidiformis that I first noticed getting sickly. Then my large spath clump and then a smaller rosetted clump (my best one... :-( . On the large spath I started noticing these long bristly hair-like things surrounding the crown. This is what I assume is the hyphae (from what I've read). But I haven't seen anything that looked like mould or sporish. The plants are in treatment now...isolated in the new "sick ward". All plants appear to still be growing so I'm anxiously awaiting to see if the new leaves look healthy. I'm crossing my fingers!

Suzanne

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12