What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yes, the nights are getting chilly here in upstate New York bring good germination of the South African wintergrowing species, and a good indication that now is the time to get the Australian tuberous species going again. I have returned my tuberous species to cultivation: watering the pots that have stood dry all summer from the top, and allowing the medium to be only slightly moist at first. As the frequency of cool days increases, I will increase the watering, but right now the tubers are in a sensitive phase, and I don't want them to rot.

Since the tuberous seed needs temps around 45F for good germination, I have sown the seed now as well, figuring that by the time the cool weather hits here in another month, some of the inhibitory auxins will have leached out of the seed coat, enhancing the chance of germination. Peltata and auriculata seldom are difficult, and I have sown many varieties acquired over the summer not that fall approaches.

I planted some tubers today, all of which are showing signs of growth. It looks like I will finally meet Drosera menziesii ssp menziesii and get to shake tentacles with it! This species has some of the most beautiful flowers in the genus.
I also look forward to Drosera whittakeri ssp whitakeri the "scented sundew"

So if you have tuberous droserae seed, I think now is the time to sow it. This year I am going to try fire stratification with some seed. As I understand it, this requires a hot, quick burning: not prolonged baking. In habitat, the fire ecology is a vital part of the tuberous droserae cycle. In habitat, the remains of the stem and leaves of summer dormant plants dry out in the long, hot, dry summer. When lightning strikes the land and generates a fire, the fire sweeps through their very fine and dry leaves in a flash, and quickly moves on. I speculate that the seed remaining in the pods is that which gets the significant stratification, and falls to the ground which is now clear of other vegatation with which it would compete. I figure I will use dry grasses, and other fine dry material to get a hot quick burst of flame on top of the pots where the seed is sown. Then I will allow the pots to sit with smouldering leaves placed on top of a little lit charcoal inside a barbeque with a lid. This way the smoke will be thick, and will condense on the surface of the pots. Maybe this will do the trick! My experiments with GA3 last season were less than encouraging.

I also plan on incorporating some ash into my mix to see if this has any effect on germination and subsequent growth. I have heard from friends in Australia that this greatly increases the tuber size in a season.

A side note: if anyone purchases tubers from Australia in this season (i.e. from Lowerie) be aware that tubers are now being harvested there as the plants go dormant. These tubers must be acclimated to this hemisphere as the seasons are reversed, or they will not grow and will rot if planted now. I learned this one the hard way!

I have some D. peltata tubers that were showing some growth and have been planted. Not as fancy as D. menziesii, but just as impressive to us non-drosera minded folk. And a D. stolonifera that I though had died in transit, but planted anyway, is coming up again from its tuber.

I have the perfect cool sunny windowsill for them, I hope that they will survive the season. It's nice to finally have well grown, in season material.

Oooooooooh! Stolonifera!!! Quite a prize for a non-droserae oriented guy.

I grew peltata for the first time from tubers last fall. It was like seeing a myth: I had wanted this species since I first saw it in the National Geographic back in 1963 or so.

These are all incredible plants. Peltata is not an overly difficult species, and it deserves more prominence in collections!

Mine are in the ground now but I am a bit worried that it is still a little too warm here in Hotlanta for me to start watering. But I do have friends in high places with access to TC facilities and have passed some extea material to them so even if I flub it I figure I'll get them back.

Hi,

I'm new with tub's, just started last year with D. peltata and D. auriculata. The D. peltata 'Bathurst' has started to grow again from tiny orange tubers, which was very nice to see. I also tried sowing seed in february from some other species and they have grown through summer. I like them all, but I'm especially fond of the D. bulbosa ssp. bulbosa 'El Caballo Blanco' and D. aff. tubaestylis. I will however have to move them inside soon as it is getting colder here. I germinated them indoors, but the gibberelic and smoke treatment apparently did the trick, as they germinated rather fast even though I didn't keep them very cool. I'm still waiting on two of them to germinate though and I can only hope that the temps outside might get them going.    

Regards,

Christer

dose any one know where I could purchas tubers in the USA

man......you guys are TOO lucky. My macrantha seedling (my only one&#33
wink.gif
decided to screw me over and go dormant like 1 month ago. Im not sure if its alive or what. Wish me luck

Hey, I'm about to plant some stolinfera ssp. stolinifera (spelling? don't think I'll ever get that one right) as soon as I get the seeds. Don't worry Tamlin, not stiffin' ya. I was thinking that I might try fire strat and was wondering if I should do that right before I was planning on growing them? It sounds stupid even to me so I'm sure you probably do but I wanted to make sure before I wasted perfectly good seeds that took me a lot of effort to get. Also, how long is the average germination of tuberous seeds after stratification? Will it still be up to 18 months? Thanks. Shauntell

Wait and see how much seed you get before you worry about sending it. I don't require the seed:)

Back