What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Capensis question

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
Can any of you nice drosera growers tell me if d. capensis are slow growers? My little baby that started as a dot of green on a root has grown to about 1/3" tall. It's putting out new leaves but...its remained the same size (height/width) lately. It's in a tank under GroLux lighting, about 72º and 80% humidity.

Anything I can do to boost the growth? A touch of Superthrive? Or is it just simply a slow grower by nature? Next to the binata that's growing like Jack's Bean Stalk, its been a slow turtle.

Thanks for any info.

suzanne

lol you said it had been through a lot during it's mail delivery-give it some time and it should grow. Mine was only about 8cm tall...

Thanks Mondo....I'm just worried. I feel like I'm these plants MOTHER and I would just die if it conked out. (I did lose the filiformis... :-( ...maybe soil was too wet...Martin said they prefer things a little dryer). As long as they are visibly growing, I feel like they are doing well. But since its hit this "plateau", I'm worried it might start dying. I can see new growth but...its so tiny...it worries me. Maybe its just the comparison next to the binata...thats grown so fast its kinda freakie deakie. :)

Hi Suzanne,

D.capensis is quite tough. Although I've managed to kill several, it's because they all died from root rot...overwatering. Now I don't use the tray method anymore and just water them on the medium without touching the leaves.

Hope this will encourage you further - Yesterday, I found 3 young d.capensis growing from my pot of sphagnum moss containing a sarracenia. The top layer of moss is fried (dried), to the point of being crispy! I haven't watered it in days! Temperature here is forever nearing 90! And the d.capensis are all already coming to an inch tall. I haven't been paying much attention...
tounge.gif

how can you kill a Drosera capensis
confused.gif
;-)
the growth rate is very fast (in my experience)...

from seed to flowering plants 6-8 months, from cuttings to flowering plants 4-6 months.

I made an experiment with different substrat mixes, the first picture showing the young plants the second picture was taken 2 months later...

http://www.drosophyllum.com/Bilder/V02_capensis01.jpg

http://www.drosophyllum.com/Bilder/V02_capensis02.jpg

final conclusion : Drosera capensis can grow in pure peat, in peat/sand mixes, in pure sphagnum (which will overgrow the plants), in sand & spahgnum mixes and can grow (but not very good) even in pure sand and in normal firtilized soil for houseplants.

Im my opinion Drosera capensis is the easiest of all cp spezies to grow... (here in Germany)

the only thing which can kill them very fast is tap water !!!

Martin

Well now I'm REALLY upset! lol My little capensis doesn't look anything like yours, Martin. I am envious...they are beautiful! I wish I could post a picture (still waiting on info for that...nudge, nudge, hint, hint... Jaie, Phil). It is an 'alba' so its not red. But still...yours are so much larger for young plants.

Thanks Cindy....I've heard how hardy the capensis are and I will admit mine went thru quite some abuse and still put out a plant after the root sat in a cup of water for several weeks after being in a baggie for 3 weeks. But mine is small and very clumpy looking...leaves are more upright than spreading out and very SHORT with small "paddles". Maybe mine is too wet. Its in a saucer but I haven't added any water in a while. Maybe I should stop that altogether and just add a bit from the top to keep it moist. I might try a shot of Superthrive.

I check it with a magnifying glass every day to see if I can see any problems. I haven't seen any but it just doesn't seem to be growing.

Thanks for the encouragement Cindy. I would be so thrilled if I can ever get to the point of having a full grown one.

suzanne

Martin! Awesome plants man!

Martin, I can kill any sundew.
tounge.gif

You wouldn't want to know how many...but you're dead right...tap water...I've changed to Brita filters.

Hi Cindy,
the problem with britta filters is, that they replace "salts" (CaCO3) with other "salts" so you will get Na2CO3 and some HCO3 2- Ions...
that will make the water less "hard" but definitly NOT less toxic for cp.
Sorry.
But you should look for rainwater or destilled/purified water...

sorry "chemical Englisch" is not easy for me ;o)

The plants in the top left hand corner-the largest ones,what media did you use for them?

Martin, Jaie(administrator) mentioned that he used a brita and it worked well. It was replaced by a reverse osmosis thingy only because they could afford a better filter.

Don't tell me my plants are at risk...sigh...

Martin, thanks for clearing up the confusion with Brita's... I have been tempted to switch over... but will hold out for the RO unit.

To all, If you have a sams club membership, they have an RO unit going for less than 200 right now, as does Cosco I think, If memory serves it was around 150 dollars I think. (can't remember for sure.) seems like a deal though... I think I have conned the family into one for X-Mas!

When we used the filter ( in the begining). We would use the filter and then leave the water in a bucket or some kind of container for a few days before we used it on the plants.
We have no problem ( problems being losing ANY plants that we had at the time).
HOWEVER
I highly recommend anyone to get a RO system. That way you take no chance. OR just spending about a buck and buying a gallon of distilled water.
BUT
for those that cannot afford that habit...My next suggestion would be to use the brita filter.

Okie guys! Here's what I'm going to do. Use brita until I feel like I've cash to spare...usually on payday
smile.gif
, give up my meal at Jap restaurant (sashima!)... and buy a gallon of distilled water and flush my plants! Will do?

Cindy, sounds good, I have also found that many really enthusiastic aquarium stores sell RO and de-ionized water for even less that Distilled in the grocery store... perhaps you might like to call around and see if that is an option for you!?

On average here in the US a relatively nice meal costs about 8 to 12 dollars, and a gallon of distilled water costs 47 cents, so, I hope you don't have to give up your visit!

Back