Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Capensis question

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can any of you nice drosera growers tell me if d. capensis are slow growers? My little baby that started as a dot of green on a root has grown to about 1/3" tall. It's putting out new leaves but...its remained the same size (height/width) lately. It's in a tank under GroLux lighting, about 72 and 80% humidity.

Anything I can do to boost the growth? A touch of Superthrive? Or is it just simply a slow grower by nature? Next to the binata that's growing like Jack's Bean Stalk, its been a slow turtle.

Thanks for any info.

suzanne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol you said it had been through a lot during it's mail delivery-give it some time and it should grow. Mine was only about 8cm tall...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Mondo....I'm just worried. I feel like I'm these plants MOTHER and I would just die if it conked out. (I did lose the filiformis... :-( ...maybe soil was too wet...Martin said they prefer things a little dryer). As long as they are visibly growing, I feel like they are doing well. But since its hit this "plateau", I'm worried it might start dying. I can see new growth but...its so tiny...it worries me. Maybe its just the comparison next to the binata...thats grown so fast its kinda freakie deakie. :-)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Suzanne,

D.capensis is quite tough. Although I've managed to kill several, it's because they all died from root rot...overwatering. Now I don't use the tray method anymore and just water them on the medium without touching the leaves.

Hope this will encourage you further - Yesterday, I found 3 young d.capensis growing from my pot of sphagnum moss containing a sarracenia. The top layer of moss is fried (dried), to the point of being crispy! I haven't watered it in days! Temperature here is forever nearing 90! And the d.capensis are all already coming to an inch tall. I haven't been paying much attention... [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how can you kill a Drosera capensis [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img] ;-)
    the growth rate is very fast (in my experience)...

from seed to flowering plants 6-8 months, from cuttings to flowering plants 4-6 months.

I made an experiment with different substrat mixes, the first picture showing the young plants the second picture was taken 2 months later...

http://www.drosophyllum.com/Bilder/V02_capensis01.jpg

http://www.drosophyllum.com/Bilder/V02_capensis02.jpg

final conclusion : Drosera capensis can grow in pure peat, in peat/sand mixes, in pure sphagnum (which will overgrow the plants), in sand & spahgnum mixes and can grow (but not very good) even in pure sand and in normal firtilized soil for houseplants.

Im my opinion Drosera capensis is the easiest of all cp spezies to grow... (here in Germany)

the only thing which can kill them very fast is tap water !!!

Martin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well now I'm REALLY upset! lol My little capensis doesn't look anything like yours, Martin. I am envious...they are beautiful! I wish I could post a picture (still waiting on info for that...nudge, nudge, hint, hint... Jaie, Phil). It is an 'alba' so its not red. But still...yours are so much larger for young plants.

Thanks Cindy....I've heard how hardy the capensis are and I will admit mine went thru quite some abuse and still put out a plant after the root sat in a cup of water for several weeks after being in a baggie for 3 weeks. But mine is small and very clumpy looking...leaves are more upright than spreading out and very SHORT with small "paddles". Maybe mine is too wet. Its in a saucer but I haven't added any water in a while. Maybe I should stop that altogether and just add a bit from the top to keep it moist. I might try a shot of Superthrive.

I check it with a magnifying glass every day to see if I can see any problems. I haven't seen any but it just doesn't seem to be growing.

Thanks for the encouragement Cindy. I would be so thrilled if I can ever get to the point of having a full grown one.

suzanne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Martin! Awesome plants man!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Martin, I can kill any sundew. [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]

You wouldn't want to know how many...but you're dead right...tap water...I've changed to Brita filters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast