What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello. I am interested in this species. I have found one for sale at an incredibley expensive price: $33.00! Is this plant very rare or something. What type is this plant: tuberous, petiolaris complex, winter growing, etc? Has anyone ever grown this plant? any care tips will be gladly accepted.

And for those interested, I just took a plunge into petiolaris drosera's (after the death of my falconeri) by buying a paradoxa 'White Flower'.

Stenopetala is probably the worlds most difficult Drosera to grow, and I strongly suggest you pass on the 30.00 heartache. Ultra highland Neps are a breeze compared to this species. Max. temp in summer must be 50F or below. The plant cannot be kept in the fridge for dormancy periods as it will continue to try to grow even in the cold and dark. I know growers with chilled terraria that have problems with this species. It is closely related to both Drosera uniflora and arcturi, although far more demanding than either of these species, and seems to require a cold water seepage from above for any growth. Even with good growth (with the right equipment) the plants often do not survive dormancy. It is rather small and unimpressive, similar in appearance to Drosera uniflora. Seed germinated easily enough after a 6 month stratification, and should you care to try this from seed (your best bet at getting anything that might possibly survive) I can send you some seed.

Hi Tamlin.

Would it be possible to grow it as an anual ?
Sowing in autumn and cultivating it during the cold winter with artificial light, harvesting some seed in spring, store it in the frige for some months and start again next autumn ?

Bruce's book does not tell you much about cultivating this spezies.

Martin

I grow stenopetala, outside in my mini bog. It's growing outside, in England, and has experienced temperatures last Summer above 80F and in the high 70s this year. This spring it flowered, and set seed. I'll stratify it over winter in my cold frame and hope it germinates next year. Although this alpine plant is intolerant of very high temperaures, it seems to be doing fine in cool England. There probably are not many places in the US where the summers are as cool as here though. I have D. arcturi growing alongside, in the same conditions, and thats doing fine, but the stenopetala is the happiest of the two.
$33 seems a bit steep for a Drosera though, I paid about $8 for mine in the UK.

Cheers
Vic

Yup, ill pass on the stenopelta lol. After reading about the toughness about it, I wonder how I can have it last a year with me. Odd, only $8 in the UK? A wonder how much rare plants are there.

Back