Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sundews in my bog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the corner of my bog that I grow most of my sundews and VFT's. Both have started to self-seed and babies are popping uo every where.

The black thing in the corner is a solar cell light, so I can have lights without electricty. My husband surprised me with those. You can also see part of the plastic liner.

Marjorie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice. Can you tell us a bit more about your bog. I would like to know about its construction and location.

Thanks,

Nick
    Nick

Careful where you crawl, it might be a trap!

http://www.carnivorium.com
    http://www.buckeyecarnivores.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

VeRy nice bogs u have!! and also with the aquatic and im sure many more!... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif[/img]

What drosera are those btw?
    I want to learn to start identifying, and I would gUeSs that is an intermedia, but I could be wrong... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you are right about those being intermedia, I also have rotundilolia and filiformis in other parts. As the seeds spread they get mixed together. The bog is built into the side of a small mound , too small to be a hill,in my backyard. This allows the front to be a rasied bed and the back to be even with the ground. This helps prevent chemicals and dirt from getting into the bog. The back and sides have planters so I can grow non-carnivorous plants. It is lined with two layers of clear plastic without any intentional holes. The first layer is pure river sand and is about 12-16 inches deep. The next 12-18 inches is 2 parts peat and 1 part river sand. I mixed the top mixture in a cheap kids pool to have it completly saturated before putting it on top of the river sand base. I placed stepping stones in it so I can move about it without stepping on plants or sinking. In retrospect I should have used more than three, but I can reach every part of it to weed or plant new plants. I started out with a mixture of both CP and non-CP plants. I have gradually removed most of the non-cp plants with the exception of some pickerel weed and an elephant ear plant. I trim the blooms on the pickerel weed before it has time to set seed. I have not made any major additions for about a year. So most of the plants are well established. This fall I plan on building an attached water garden of about 100 gallons. I am limited on space for it because we had to fence of the bog to keep our dogs out.
    Marjorie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Magore,

Nice job with the bog [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

What is the humidity outside where you live?

How hot is your summer?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live outside Atlanta GA, the humidity is always high. The temps stay in the 90's in the day and mid to high 70's at night.
    Marjorie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

Nice bog and plants. I notice that there are moss growing already. Did you plant it there or did it somehow self-sowed itself?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Therewas some moss on some of the plants when I planted them and it is slowly spreading
    Marjorie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast