What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

THERE COMING UP!

my capensis typical drosera i planted the seeds over 2 weeks ago are coming up,they are small and you can barely see them for the green but they are there!! WOOT!!

much thanks to tamlin who sent me those
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Congratulations on your success! Now would be a good time to bring up an issue. I currently have in cultivation material received with the names: typical, wide leaf, thin leaf, albino, albino giant form, and all red. The first 3 are largely identical (to the eye) to me, although wide leaf may possibly show some difference when it fully matures. Albino and albino giant are likewise identical. The red form is significantly different. This demonstrates why such descriptors are really useless: one man's typical is another mans wide leaf. The seed from my typical stock produces large beautiful plants though!

i cannot stress my deepest thanks and sincere appreciation for the seeds you sent me,thank you soo much for your time and patience in sending me an assortment of drosera seeds.

god bless you tamlin

*bows*

Get off it, you know it's my pleasure! I just like "polite", not "suck up", snicker. I think seed is the best way to grow and share the plants. Growing from seed lets you see the whole show, and not just come in halfway through. The plants always seem stronger and healthier somehow. Anyways I'm glad you like the seed, and I hope to have more interesting species in the future. The seed I have left will go to seed banks here and there for further distribution.

Hey Tamlin,
You mentioned a "giant" form...How much bigger than the regular are they?

Yay. My only two remaining capensis seedlings (they have proper conditions now Tamlin, hooray for me&#33
wink.gif
, are starting to have 'upright' leaves that look capensisy... There was a period of three leaves that I thought it coulda been capillaris... I'll have my lights indoors ready by the time I should bring the capensis in. Hoorah. I really like capensis, I do indeed. Its quiet pretty...

How tall do they get btw? Oh, and Could I plant it with my fave plant? My N. x ventrata?

I really can't see any difference between my "typical"  "giant" and "thinleaf" forms, and only a slight difference between "typical", and "wideleaf".  The all red form is the only markedly different form (other than albino) that I have yet seen.  The maximum size would be about 5-6 inches tall, and 4-5 inches wide at maturity with good culture for the "typical".

Remember these descriptions are all relative.  I keep trying different named varieties in hopes that some will be really different, but I haven't seen this yet.

Nonetheless, capensis is a beautiful and impressive plant.

If anyone knows the origin of the all red form, I am very interested in hearing about it.

Capensis like most of the South Africans prefers cool roots, but this is a very adaptable plant, and probably would be ok with your Nepenthes. It does not *require* the high humidity, but it will be fine with it.

Back