What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What happened?!?!?

Today when I went to do my daily check on my cp's I found my Drosera capensis DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!
sad.gif
 How could this happen?!?!?! Yesterday was just fine!
confused.gif
 I have two d. capensis in one same pot (a little one and a medium one which was the unfortunate one
sad.gif
) I found a clue though: some white mossy stuff was all over the soil! I'm suspecting it was attacked by some kind of fungus?
confused.gif
 I removed it all so I'm waiting to see what's going to happen.
sad.gif

P.S. The little Drosera right next to the medium who died is still OK.

Lo siento Amigo
sad.gif

Mine are just getting ready to bloom, and if I get seeds I can send you some. Alot of times that white stuff is the mycelae, or the "roots" of fungus, but they usually grow on something dead, like big roots, or leaves.

I would imagine that if it was attacked by fungus it would have a slower, more prolonged death. Did you notice any signs that it may in some way be infected?

Cole

Hmmm, yes, I would guess the fungi was making use of the dead plant, not the culprit. Do you think it got cooked in the sun and shaded the little one?

Well.........sub........it's finally over.........sub.........the other one died...........sub......sub.......but I think that whatever killed it, it killed it from the inside of the plant....sob......it was rotting from the inside I think.......sob.......but I don't think it's roots rotted away. I loved this plant very very much.....and now their gone.....sob
sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

P.S. Rest in peace my first Drosera.

Roots of D. capensis may be used to propagate the plant. I would remove all the medium from around the roots, and replace them just under the surface of fresh medium. Provide 100% humidity and good light, and you may get a surprise. Sometimes things just happen. I also have seed of several D. capensis forms available for a SASE if you have need.

I'm very sorry to hear thet your plants died.......
sad.gif

sad.gif
R.I.P
sad.gif

Cheer up Andenes - It's not the end of the world
smile.gif
  They all have to die sooner or later. 
sad.gif

Sorry Again,

lil_flytrap_boy

Strange... the exact same thing is happening to my capensis "red" also. However all the other sundews in my terrarium are alive, and look great. I really dont care because I am hoping new plants will come up from the roots, and if they dont, oh well.

Don't panic! A similar thing happened to my first capensis....It just whithered away. I was sad....Then BAM! up from the roots sprouted a forrest! I have tons of small to medium sized plants now...all in one small area....A little cramped, but oh-so cool looking.
biggrin.gif

I gave andenes the two capensis plants that he has, and the only thing that I can think of is fungus. I've been having fungus problems with those plants for as long as I can remember, although I'm pretty sure that I cleaned the plants when I gave them to him. This type of fungus (or algae, im not sure) just grows on top of the soil and then when it covers all the soil it starts to attack the plants. Captan seems to work really well agains it though, so I recommend that.

Jœl

Back