What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Capensis survivor stories

Well, after reading some posts about this, I thought it would be fun to start a "capensis survivor stories thread" - type in your TRUE survival stories about various capensis you've had. This should be fun - I'll go first...

I usually have a pot of pre-mixed peat in a cream cheese container under my desk at home (in case I need to add some to my pots or when I'm arranging seedlings for shipping). It's one of those white ones with thick plastic so very little light gets in there. I had pulled some "junk" peat out of a pot and put it in the container and prompty forgot about it for approx 7 months as I had kicked it to the back and gotten a larger container. When I found it, there was a capensis growing inside! The peat was still damp but at the most the plant would have gotten only 4 hours of very, very weak light (if any) through the side of the container!

Michele,
Did you just read my post? LOL! My story is almost exactly the same, but you have me beat...Mine was only left alone in the bucket for 2 or 3 months....

I left the plants I couldnt bring inside outdoors last fall. After 2 nights of 29F they were still growing during the days. They didnt survive the winter here though. -20F is asking a bit much. I have also had them survive nearly bone dry for months.

I had a very beautiful capensis which was outdoors in a large pot of spaghnum enjoying the sun. However, the squirrels seemed to think there might be something tastey in the moss so my poor capensis was found pulled out and laying on the plant shelf. Not once but about 5-6 times.
sad.gif
mad.gif
Each time the plant looked worse and worse until it finally kicked the bucket. BUT...having heard how tough those guys are I left the pot sitting in a pot of water and one day I looked at it and saw green spots all over the moss...all new little babies...BUNCHES of them! I now have a full pot of capensis. YAY! So far this year, the squirrels haven't attacked but I'm sure that's coming.

Suzanne

My plants were frozen down to 15F this winter and are very vigorous now. One heck of a tough tropical Drosera!

I know nothing about Capenises, What is the humidety you should keep them at?

Hmmmm... this topic spurred me into replying with my precious lil' ol' story! Another ''Survivor from Lowe's'' story! Uhhh... will you accept an adelae survivor story? I hope so, 'cuz here it goes!

A month or so ago, when I was at Lowe's I saw a cute lil' sundew amongst all of the other CPs at the ''CP Rack of Doom'' in Lowe's! It looked sooooo pitiful. It was all... brownish... ish... and tiny... and dewless... My conscience kicked hard when I forced myself to walk away, so I came running back and grabbed it!!!
tounge.gif
I got it! When I got home, I took the little plastic cone off the top and washed it out and put it on the table(I like to use them for pencil holders 'cuz they have pictures of CPs on them LOL). I set it outside for the night with a tray of water under the little thing. The next morning, I took all the CPs, including ''Lil' Thingie'', as I like to call it, out into the sun. Since Lil' Thingie wasn't very used to the blaring sun here in Florida, I only gave it an hour of sun the first day, which I increased over the next few days. After only a couple days, Lil' Thingie perked up big time!!! By only the second day, it ''greened up,'' i.e., it was no longer dead... ish.. and... brownish... ish... but actually bright green, and the bristles were soaked with dew!!! I also noticed that either Lil' Thingie is actually a whole bunch of Lil' Thingies, or Lil' Thingie just plain has a whole pot full of growth points!!! Later on, Lil' Thingie started growing like a weed!!! It started out with only a few leaves a half an inch long, then it shot up to countless amounts of leaves over an inch long!
wow.gif
Later on, I found out that what I thought was a capensis... or... filiformis... or.... something... is actually a little adelae! In conclusion, I think that Lil' Thingie is a true miracle... erm... thingie!

BTW, just tonight, I've discovered that Lil' Thingie has a new offshoot! It's about an inch from the main plant/offshoots and very tiny! Not tiny enough to be a new plant, but tiny just the same!

Thanks for letting me share my story, even if it's not about a capensis!
        FTG

I have a little capensis survivor story.

I also grow sensitive plants. I had one plant that didn't make it through the winter. I was going to throw it out. I picked up the pot and I saw two little plants growing in the soil. They were capensis. I don't know how they got there or how they were growing in the potting soil with miracle grow. I was even lucky to see them in the pot before I threw it away. I decided that I'll leave them in the potting soil to see how they grow with rich soil.

How'd they do???

They are still small but they are still growing. I found them about two weeks ago, so I'll have to wait and see what happens.

hehehe, a pot of a D. capensis was run over by a cement truck, i made a cutting from the "root" and got a new capensis
biggrin.gif
, top that, anyone!
Kevin

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (sarracenialuver @ June 17 2003,01:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">hehehe, a pot of a D. capensis was run over by a cement truck, i made a cutting from the "root" and got a new capensis
biggrin.gif
, top that, anyone!
                       Kevin[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

i got some d. capensis that i constantly transplanted at least more then 20 times with the 4 months and they seem to be doing ok .

lol Goldtrap, it sounds like you need to start with a bigger pot!
wink.gif

I have a capensis Darwin award. My capensis was the only plant NOT to survive the drought when i went away on vacation a year ago. The keeper forgot to water them, and the temperature up in the room was reaching 90s in the day, occasionally. It died because it had grown so fast that i couldn't keep it wet - it lost too much water to transpiration!

Under those conditions, it's weedy growth proved to be a trait that was selected against.

Amazing plants.

This isn't a survival story. but a question. My Binata is dead by drought (I was gone 2 weeks) the capensis are fine ofcourse but I no longer see my binata and I liked it the best will it grow back?

Back