What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pygmy Gemmae help

Hi y'all,

I'm having trouble finding good info on producing/harvesting/planting gemmae. Does anyone have pics of a gemmae and or a good description on how to accomplish this? I've got a few Lake Badgerups.

just lay the gemmae on a mix of damp peat/sand. Under good light, they will sprout in a coule of weeks. Then it will produce tiny stalks with a plant untop.

uh...what do they look like? An article mentioned that I should put the plant upside down and tease the center of the plant to make them drop out? That seems a bit odd to me...since all I see are regular leaves, one flower stem (bud) and some poofy stuff in the middle. Are they hiding in there somewhere?
tounge.gif

Pygmy droserae produce gemmae around Oct.-December when grown outdoors. Gemmae are produced in abundance(up to a couple hundred at a time with each plant) and are easily spotted on the plant.

wow.gif
!

Oh, nothing like that going on right now! I'm growing them indoors, so who knows when they'll crop up!
tounge.gif

Thanks CP2k!

Pygmy species are very much oriented to daylength. If you are growing them indoors, try to keep as close to a natural daylength as possible. Pygmy species will not reliably form gemmae with daylength over 12 hrs. Once daylength hits about 11 hrs., the gemmae begin to form in the center of the plant. In this hemisphere it occurs around November/December. Any added light after the 11 hrs. daylength quicklt resets their biological clock, so total uninterupted darkness is needed during the night cycle: even a streetlight can interfere. Like all rules this one has exceptions: I have hyperostigma currently forming gemmae: this species never seems to quit!

does any1 have any pics on how to harvest gemmae?

kamil its not that difficult really, i just winged it when my first dews produced gemmae...when they are ready, just tease em a bit with a toothpick of forceps, and they will pop right out. if they are not ready, wait a week or 2....gemmae will sometimes start sprouting before they are out of the mother plant, weired the hell out of me when i saw it...but gemmae is very easy to remove from the parent once it is indeed ready. gemmae looks different in many species, from flat and disk like, to round and almost tear drop shaped...

Back