What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's with my suicidal capensis?

Hi All,

At the local botanical garden bog, we planted a few capensis among the other cp's.

One of them has decided to commit suicide, for unknown reasons, though of course it might just be lonely... I only visit once a week.
wink.gif

Anyhow, this plant isn't just dying. Rather, it produced a flower stalk and forgot about the rest of the growing point. The growing point just kinda ceased to exist, with the flower stalk a kind of... final flourish in life. This is a little hard to explain in words, and it's the first time I've seen anything like it happen, so I took some pictures (at night with flash, sorry for the low quality):

capensis1.JPG

capensis2.JPG

I'm guessing the plant will eventually realize what it did and send up a new growing point from the side of the stem.... I think it's kinda funny that a carnivorous plant actually grew in a way as to bring about it's own doom
biggrin.gif

cheers,

-noah

Maybe you have discovered a new mutant capensis! It is really hard to kill capensis, even if you try, and you may have discovered one that simply does not have the will to live. Call it D. capensis "suicidensis" -- kinda has a ring to it.

Very odd indeed, and just when I thought the species had no more surprises to offer, LOL. I believe it will regenerate from the stem as you mentioned.

Back