What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera repotting

I believe my substrate terrarium, might not give the best environment to my cps. My ultrics thrives in them, but I'm afraid its not going the same with my Drosera. I was wondering if you guys can teach me which size pots to use. And which trays to buy with the pots. The media, and how people layer their pots. I use rocks at bottom activated charcoal, then some sphagnum moss, then I have my potting mix 50/50 peat/perlite. Also How would I placed the drosera, so its rooting system grabs on, and also be showing its leave wells =D.

Hey Bud, can you tell us what kinds of drosera you're dealling with? Most are pretty sturdy, and don't mind some root disturbance (like capensis, for example), but there are some you really want to be careful with....

I've only ever repotted the sturdy kind (fear of failure, I guess
wink.gif
), but here's how I do it:
Dig the sucker up (take care not to really cream the roots). If it's in a pot, try to get a grip around it's base (you may need tweezers, depending on how big it is), turn the pot upside down and tease out medium. Hopefully it will retain the shap of the pot.
Since you doubt your medium, to clean the roots, gently swish the root ball around in a container of water. once you've done this, rinse with distilled, purified or rain water (you can use tap water for the swishing part).

Second: replanting. your mix (50/50 pete/perlite) sounds fine for most drosera. Using LFS at the bottom to plug the drainage wholes is cool. I don't know about the charcol, I've never tried it.
confused.gif
Now fill up the pot with your medium, and make a whole for the roots. Place roots in whole, fill in whole with more medium, lightly tamp it down. Done.
biggrin.gif

Look to more experience Drosera growers for replanting the more fragile species....This is how I handle my capensis, spatulata and alicaie.

For more fragile species, like schizandra, profilera, etc. You can still repot them with ease. When taking them out of the older soil, use twisers or chop sticks and get the roots, along with the soil around the roots, so there is a "root ball" (roots covered in soil, very little roots showing). Fill up your pot, usually plastic, with your soil mix, and make a depression into the soil. Lay the root ball in and cover any spaces with soil. I like to spray the soil from the top to make all soil settle down.

Almost all Drosera with the exception of the pygmy species take transplant well. It is best done early on with the Brasillian species which seems a bit more sensitive.

hm.....I went to a local nursery and bought some 4" pots, should I also buy the 6" or is 4" big enough for them? The drosera are spats, intermediate, and binata.

TIP: you can also safely use coffee filters at the very bottom of the pots to keep the soil from escaping through the holes. I used this idea for my VFT seedlings. Since I used Mott's Applesause containers to plant the seeds in, I trimmed the coffee filters to the correct size. I find this method much easier than using small pebbles, which is what I've used in the past.

Hope this helps!
FTG

Forget the activated charcoal. It creates as many problems as it solves. Once the medium starts to break down nutrients it removed initially are released back into the mix.

Back