Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Omg wild sundews

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What would be extremely cool is if you got some pics of them. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    There's a tunnel at the end of the light...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Half the fun of cps is learning new things, whether those things be botanical or about conservation. Just make sure to take care of them in your collection, and learn from what everyone has mentioned concerning enjoying wild population by leaving them. Take only pictures, leave only footprints, right. Now that they are part of your collection, make sure to keep the location information with them (town,province or county, state) since that's important if you ever provide seed to someone else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim, Glad to see it was a learning experience for you!

You can see why we are all concerned when you view the fact that somewhere around 95% of all Carnivorous plant habitats in the world (known) have been destroyed, de-populated, or irrevocably damaged by those that don't know better or just don't care. Even some nurseries on the web are unscrupulous and collect from the wild. (as a member of the PFT team, i can't say, but anyone who's not affiliated, feel free).

Now that you know, we are happy that you have joined our community and won't be doing it again.

That being said, do you know how to care fo your new arrivals? What can you tell us about them? We would love pictures, but even in their absence, we would love a very nice description!

If you don't have a way to post them, let us know (just post here) and someone will step up to the plate and host them for you. Now that you have them of course you should share the love by letting them seed, and spreading it throughout the hobby. (even if it is a common sundew, there are people who will want it&#33[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Jim maybe after the plants you collected have sent out off-shots or seeds, you could put some of them back in their habitat. Alsom, if you know how, you can even put back plants you have propagated from the plants you collected. Go ahead and redeem yourself. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jim

Welcome to the forums! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] You can see that these forums are places to learn lots of new things. Now you know that field-collecting is a no-no! The laws protect these rare plants and you don't want those fines.

You might want to try to I.D. your sundews...always nice to know. I'd start looking for pics of D. rotundifolia like Spec said and compare. Then note the date and location for future reference.

That is really awsome you have a chance to see them in the wild. Many of us are not so lucky.

Suzanne
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOs Angels Traphole,

Part of the problem of planting plants back in the wild (taken from the same location) is the possiblility of introducing some greenhouse pests into the wild.

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jimflytrap, I hope I didn't come across to harsh in my last post, I just wanted you to see how serious this is and how much trouble you could get into. I applaud you on learning from your mistake.

The best thing to do now is to make sure you know how to care for this plant. Read the info on this site and grow it well. Then when you get seeds from it, take the seeds to the island.

Good luck
    If you have any questions about your plant you can ask here or send me a message.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put em back if you just realizaed how cheap, nothing against japanese people, but lets say theres a japanese person, whos lived in japan his whole life, and someone comes and puts him in america. Thats what you did to the sundews. Put them back, do it.
    "That guy looks like pant food, toooo meeee"
    -Little shop of horrors.

"Now, this thing smells like ****!"
    -College proffeser smelling my corpse plant.
    ^Just thought id put that in there, it was pretty funny when he said it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast