Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Omg wild sundews

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, don't put them back. That is a little too much shock for them to be transplanted twice in such a short time.
    What you did was a perfectly natural response, and to my knowledge, unless specifically protected, was not even illegal(unless, of course, you crossed the border). Dionaea in the US is protected as are a few Sarracenia and P. ionantha, but no Drosera. Honestly, I am shooting from the hip as I don't know Canada's laws.
    If these are D. rotundifolia(flat rosette?), some alternatives would be:
    1) Collect some seed if available-that way you don't disturb the plants
    2) Collect a few leaves and use them as cuttings to produce new plants-again, leaving the parent plants in the wild

Plants with location data are always sweeter than just, "D. rotundifolia" so try and propagate the plants you took and trade seed, propagated plants or get the seed into a seed bank.
    I'm not trying to advocate wild collecting in general, but collecting a little bit of material can be down without harm to the population.

Regards,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the Griffin. Also, while I certainly don't condone wild collection, even a moderately healthy population of drosera rotundifolia or intermedia will grow new individuals in the empty location within a year or two. In the bogs around here, you can barely keep from stepping on the drosera since they're so prolific. I forget which book said it, but when nothing else is growing in a bog, you can usually still find some drosera. So IMO jimflytrap shouldn't feel too bad, doesn't need to take any action in "repairing the damage", and most importantly should keep the location his secret so he can enjoy them for years to come.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, this was a learning experience and he doesn't need to go do any 'pennance' by putting them back. Maybe sew some seed, maybe get the seed out in the community, but he doesn't need to put them back, and he certainly didn't commit the act while 'knowing better' he knows now, he has learned, and he will do whats right.

now, let's not scare off Jim!
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow Jim, I try and try to get a thread going and nothing happens. You manage to get people talking and exchanging views without trying [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] . Good job. That's what these forums are for.

Going back to something Joe (The Griffin) said, "Plants with location data are always sweeter than just D. rotundifolia" . Since you now have the plants, keep the location information with them when you trade or give the plants and seeds away. A lot of people like to have plants from different places to increase the genetic differsity of their collection.

Please post again (especially if you have pics) and let us know how the plants are doing. Even if they are doing bad let us know. We may be able to help you figure out the problem and get them going again.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Far too old to grow up now. Kate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jim, welcome to the forums.

I would like to add that putting them back, or even reintroducing seed in BC is a worse crime in the eyes of the local law makers than taking the plants in the first place.

That being said keep an eye out for Pingulicula (I can't remember the species name, will look it up) while you are out and about. Seeing the plants in their native habitat is always educational and fun, and provides insight about how to grow them. I wish I'd been a little more conscious of them when I was still living on Vancouver Island, might have saved me alot of the mistakes I have made now.

Goodluck with your plants and if/when the time comes that you are looking into trading let me know, My mother still lives on the Island and is almost as obbsessed as I am!
    I typo, therefore I edit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry about that, I was in a bad mood, I just dont like field collecting, I enjoy going over to wathen park in indiana and taking care of them in the wild, and watching them.
    "That guy looks like pant food, toooo meeee"
    -Little shop of horrors.

"Now, this thing smells like ****!"
    -College proffeser smelling my corpse plant.
    ^Just thought id put that in there, it was pretty funny when he said it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123