Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: D.slackii

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wuts up with this plant? it seems no one has it! i regret not buying one from peter damato at the bacps meeting last year lol. Now that plant is on my most wanted list! i was able to track down D.hamiltonii and the others i wanted but slackii and cunefolia is so hard to get! Does anyone noe where to get a slackii or cunefolias?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Zach,

The reason nobody has this plant is because it is relatively new to cultivation and a lot of people don't want to "ruin" their plant by taking leaf cuttings to propogate it. I have d. cunefolia seeds, I'm trying to germinate them in tc right now. If things turn out well, this and many other rarer droseras will be more common pretty soon. Tc rules!!!

Noah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "...Tc rules..." [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img]?
    I definitly prefer "normal" grown plants over TC plants...
    Natural selection rules, at least in my opinion !

especially with plants which are as easy to propagate as sundews.

Drosera slakii new to cultivation ?
    That's new to me ;o)

Martin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Martin,

Slakii is not new to cultivation, but it hasn't been around for that long either. It was discovered 1980, named '87, and only some collections have it.

Tc does rule, without n. bicalcarata would still cost &#36100, and it would take thirty years for a new plant to hit the market. Besides, tc can be used without actually producing clones. For example, one could throw a bunch of drosera seed in and get mature plants in only a few months. I agree there are downsides, for example small genetic fields, etc. but tc isn't all bad either. For example, I'm hoping to have some mature d. graomogolensises in a few months... thanks in part to tc.

Noah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea, tc does produce rarer, harder plants in a short amount of time but i still enjoy the gamble of regular peat/sand/etc lol

Marshfield, MA (US) USDA zone 6 cold-temperate coastal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TC is a practical thing. If not for tissue culturing, the millions of Venus Flytraps wouldn't be produced that get many people, including me, interested in cp. If we only produced flytraps with 'natural' methods, people would turn to field collecting flytraps to satisfy their interest in them(ironic). The same is true with other carnivores. TC is the only way to satisfy a lot of growers, quickly. Noah, it's cool that you want to make rare plants available to growers like me, because I'm not interested in TC, but I realize it's huge importance in horticulture. I'm not trying to 'slam' you, Martin.
    Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been growing slackii for 15 years. it is very easy and impressive! it was named after Adrian Slack, a well known British CP enthusiast who founded Marston Exotics CP nurseries, and was previously grown under the name 'Highland Red'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi gardenofeden,

Would you be able to post me some seeds/plants? I would love to get those in tc as well, they are almost imposible to find in the US. That way I can redistribute them here so more people have a chance to grow these.

Noah

P.S. I have things (d. seed, some rare) I could trade in return if you want.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast