What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Byblis seed germination

Hi there:

I am thinking of getting the following seeds in for germination.  However, I don't know much about them and the best way to get them germinated.  I would appreciate if I have some good advice from some of more experienced grower out there.  
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

I plane to get (if possible) all the known byblis species out there.

Also, I am interested in getting some roridula, anyone out there with experience on germinating them?

Regard

KUPO

Hi Kupo

I've grown B. gigantea and B. liniflora for several years:

1. B. gigantea is fairly difficult to germinate and get going. You need to use smoke treatment or the plant hormone Gibberellic Acid in order to get good germination. I can thoroughly recommend reading Brian Cochran's article on the subject. This was originally published in the CPN, and is available online My Experiences on Growing Byblis gigantea from Seed. I use his method with great results.

2. B. liniflora is easy to germinate,requiring no special treatment, treat as Drosera seed, plant on peat/sand and keep it warm (min. 70F), wet and in bright light.

I haven't grown any of the other species yet, but I believe they are mostly fairly easy to germinate like B. liniflora. You might want to research this further though, before buying the seed.

Cheers
Vic

Thanks guys:

This forum is by far the best one I have used so far.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif