What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosophyllum seeds

i recenlty got alot of seeds of drosophyllum seeds from Bobz ( thanks very much ) i scarified them and put them on a try of moist vermiculite in shade and i hope they germiante . they are misted everyday .i can't wait til they germiante but if all of them end up germinating then i got a big problem .
tounge.gif

Hey there Goldy,
I'm having a frustrating time with mine....Maybe just 'cause I'm impatient. I did manage to get a few to sprout, but those sprouts bit the bullet. One was my fault...knocked it off the shelf! (DOH&#33
wink.gif
The other damped off, I think. I am currently trying the germination method in one of the prior threads in this forum...no results to report yet.

Maybe lower humidity will help the seedlings survive. I do not believe that the habitat of this plant is very humidity at all.

Hi there:

Just thought to let you guys know that last week I just germinated another 8 drosophyllum seeds with 100% success rate. The method I used was exactly to what I had posted in one of the previous thread, if you guys need some help on the method, just give me a personal PM, and I will see how I can help you.

Regard

biggrin.gif

I am under the impression that the quality of the seeds makes a big difference with germination. I have sown two different batches of Drosophyllum seeds from different sources(using the "water method" described by Joenz, thanks&#33
wink.gif
. With one batch, almost all the seeds germinated. With the other batch, only one seed germinated(maybe others will sprout with more time).

Hi CP2k:

I don't know whether the quality of the seeds would make any different, but I suppose it does kind of make sense if the seeds is not in good condition it should not germinate (by the law of nature - survival of fittest)

I had germinated seeds that are as old as 6 years so, would be interesting to see how it turns out.

Regard

Joe

A couple years ago, I germinated some Drosophyllum and Byblis gigantea seeds that were 22 years old. Seed of these two species can remain viable a L O N G time.

Back