Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tuberous Drosera

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tuberous Drosera are wintergrowing species, and need cool conditons for both germination of seed and growth in general. The main problem is to be able to give them enough sunlight in the winter - they are light loving plants, not suited for terrarium or indoor culture under flourescents. Seed can lie dormant for up to 3 years, as these plants are part of the Australian "Brushfire" ecology: many require stratification by heat and smoke in order to germinate (bulbosa, erythrorhiza) In temp. above 60F seed will not germinate, no matter what stratification has been done. The use of GA3 has not proved effective for me, I have heard that smoke water is effective in some cases. Plants from seed take up to 5 years to mature, and must have successful dormancy during the summer months. The plants produce tubers during active growth (with good light!) that allow for the next seasons growth. Tubers acquired from Australia need to be acclimated to growth in our hemisphere, and will not be successful if planted immediately upon harvest from there. Plants go dormant as the warm season progresses, and it is vital that the potted plants be allowed to dry off s-l-o-w-l-y so that the energy reserves in the plant can be stored in the developing tuber: if they dry too quickly this will not happen. Peltata and auriculata are the least sensitive to this, and are good starter species. Tray watering is not acceptable, and can lead to tubers rotting, esp. during the dormancy. Seed as well should not be left sitting in water, and high humidity is not a requirement for germination. Here is a good synopsis from a friend in the UK:

http://www.pwilson.demon.co.uk/culti...winterdros.htm

Marshfield, MA (US) USDA zone 6 cold-temperate coastal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uhh...I think now I'll wait a while before I try peltata
    sounds like what I'd need is a cooled greenhouse
    Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't give up! Peltata is the most forgiving of the tuberous species, and isn't that difficult. You just have to give the plants what they need. This one may grow under flourescents, but not in warm conditions constantly. If you can provide a night time drop of @ 5-10 degrees, it should do Ok. I grew mine from seed. The more light the better. Start the seeds when the summer heat is done. This is a really beautiful plant
    that more people should grow and experience, and the seed germinates far easier than many other tuberous species. Remember to dry the pots off slowly for good tuber formation when the plant shows signs of dormancy. This is often the hardest part of their culture.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow D. Peltata, D. Whittakeri and D. Erythrorhiza.
    D. Erythrorhiza grows well but never produces any dew on its leaves. The other two grow laike crazy! My peltata pot is full of about 4 mature stems and hundreds of seedlings in various stages of growth. D. Peltata and Whittakeri are also the only tuberous sundews that dont require drying out during dormancy. I leave my pots standing in the water trays but hidden away by larger pots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Tamlin.
    Yes, I suppose there's no harm in trying! [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the spirit! Remind me next fall, and I will send you some seed to try.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tamlin you rock!! :biggrin:
    You know, if you have any extra...and I'll what I can get for you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12