What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did I sent you seed of Drosera natalensis?

In my latest conversations with Robert Gibson and Dr. Schauler I have learned that this plant might not be natalensis in the strictest sense. With new information they provided I went back and re-examined my plant. Based on seed length and floral color, I now place this as intermediate between dielsiana and natalensis. Hopefully I will get another close look at the styles soon, and be able to say more, but for now this plant should be labeled as Drosera natalensis aff. dielsiana, or similar, to keep things straight.

If anyone has extra natalensis seed, I am very interested in obtaining some for comparison. I am currently trying to source some of the natalensis found in Madagascar, as this is the true form. Incidently, the seed of this form is identical to aliciae!

My apologies for the confusion, and I will update on this topic as I learn more.

Update: since most of my taxonomist friends and growers feel this is natalensis with one very noteworthy although contrary opinion from Dr. Jan Schauler, I will continue to list this as natalensis "Zimbabwe" as it seems most like the forms from the Chimanimani Mt. station. Once I can see the styles, this may change, so stay tuned for the news as it breaks.

Back