What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

drosera pulchella seed

I just got Drosera pulchella seeds and ive read that they are a pigmy species so--how do i go about germinating them? they are subtropical are they not? So they should germinate rather easily in warm conditions shouldnt they?Do I need to treat the seeds with smoke or soak them? Or are they going to need cooler conditions like many other australian drosera?
confused.gif

Thanks,

Joel
biggrin.gif

Hi Joel,

Pygmy species can be difficult, and I have had limited experience with germinating them. I suggest you do a good websearch with the terms "Pygmy drosera seed germination" and see what you can find, and let us know what you find out.

Ok after much searching and everybody opting for the easy way out bye just telling about gemmae production I found some info.. though not much diffrerent from Tuberous drosera info. they said to put ash in the potting mix. The basic drift of what I read is that D.pulchellais an easy one at least to grow,along with, D.paleacea,manni, enodes roseana, nittidula ssp. omissa, and most of the hybrids. These enjoy a 3/1 mix of peat/sand, and none of these require dormancy, they are kept on the tray method all year. The seeds will germinate at temps from 41-95 F but perfer 68-86 F. Some also recomented giving the seed a time of very cool strat like conditions, to ensure a good germination, but i believe he was refering to the annual drosera that require dormancy.

Joel
biggrin.gif

Well done sir! Pygmy species are very seasonally oriented by daylength. Flowering is greatest in the middle of spring when the days are longest, tapering off until September or so when the seed is ripe. In habitat the seed is probably washed out of the capsules when the fall rains come where it lies on the cold wet substrate all fall and winter, until the warm conditions of spring brings germination. From your research I would suggest a wet stratification in the fridge on milled dead sphagnum (to discourage mold) until the warm spring days arrive, then bring the pots into cultivation.

This will make for a good experiment as not many growers have mentioned their experiences with pygmy species seed!

I am telling you! sheeesh no one put anything in their site about seed germination.Pain in the rear but on the positive side i found lots of great sites. Oh funny story i was trying to find info on a ping iam getting and i could not find any info onit to catagorize it, so i could find out how to care for it. a few pics no info so i found one in pic that was in a pot,and praise God there was a name tag in the soil so i had to squint and and get the type off the lable, It worked and I now have the type. i found peter D amatos name every where in reference to this ping but he didnt have it in his book The Savage Garden, which i thought was rather interesting.

Back