User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: D. auriculata

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, so i bought some D. Auriculata and want some feedback on how to grow them by someone who has grown them in the past. Please don't post if you've never grown them and just know something, i already know alot and just want to make sure about my inforamtion. Also, i live in Arizona and think it may be possible to grow outside. Please give me stuff like temperatures and humidity and soi and stuff like that. ANY help from an experienced grower is welcomed, and i will be very thankful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. auriculata and the closely related D. peltata (they are sometimes considered to be the same species) is one of the easiest tuberous sundews to grow.

I grow my plants in 5 inch deep pots of sand/peat (1:1), during their growth period (for me = November - May approx.) I stand the pots in a tray of water (about an inch, but the level fluctuates) and let the plants get as much sun as possible (not that much in England, in winter). These plants prefer cool temperatures, mine have a min. temp. of 45F (7C) and rarely get much warmer than 70F (20C). I have no idea what temperatures you experience outside in your part of Arizona over winter, but if you remain frost-free you should be OK.

When the above-ground foliage dies back in late spring, I allow the pots to dry out a little (I keep them damp all summer) and place them back on trays of water in sun in autumn (October).

This species (or sub-species), unlike most tuberous dews, is self-fertile and produces plenty of viable seed, which I also sow around October.

Cheers

Vic
    They say that money talks, but all it ever says to me is goodbye.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grew mine from seed. For me, only 1 sprouted out of 10, so i guess i wasnt that lucky. Well, it grew normally until it hit about 4 inches tall, where it just died down. I thought it was wanting a dry dormancy, so i took the pot out of the tray method and let it dry off by itself. Something most have gone wrong as it didnt come back even after i started to water again. I have heard of peltata not needing a dormancy, so it might work also with auriculata. Good luck-Zach
    Taproot, Anti-Flag, The Casualties, Alkaline Trio, Eleventeen, Deadsy, AFI...what's not to love?