What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tuberous-dosera

Hello Guys ( and girls)! I have some seeds of Drosera whittakerii ssp. whittakerii, D. auriculata and D. peltata. When is the best time to sow them?

Regretably, they are best sown at the start of the cooler weather in the autumn season (Late August/early Sept.). The seed wants cool conditions to germinate. Sowing in this window allows for ample growth and tuber formation before the warmer weather of late spring forces the plant into dormancy. Seed sown too late in the season rarely gets a chance to become established for the tuber formation that will bring the plant back from dormancy in its next season of growth. I have heard that the species you have seed of are longer growing, and are able to remain moist during their summer dormancy, so you might have some success with late sowing of these species. Perhaps someone with more experience with the tuberous species can be of more help.

Hi Bjørn,

You may be ok to save those seeds for sowing in autumn 2003, if you're in doubt. Most tuberous Drosera generally have a longer viability (i.e. last longer before they will no longer germinate) than some other members of the genus. Indeed, some tuberous Drosera can take a year or more to germinate in some cases! They have to be tough to withstand the periodically harsh consitions in which they lay dormant in the wild. Germination in many species is often triggered by bush fires. The species you list though are some of the easiest amongst the tuberous species to germinate and grow from seed.

Good luck with them!

Adam.  
smile.gif

I agree, the best time to sow them is autumn. Just store the seeds dry and sealed in the refridgerator (at about 4C) and they should be fine.
I usually find that despite my best efforts, D. peltata seedlings appear in other CP pots in the summer and soon aclimatise themselves if I don't weed them out. So if you have plenty of seed of this species, you could try sowing some of it now or in spring.

Vic

I would recommend to sow them NOW. sSed of tuberous Drosera is produced and falls down to ground in winter and spring and not in autumn !
Keep them dry and hot during summer...

Back