Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spring tails

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never really considered them as pests, I kind of like the fact that they are around in my collection cause they eat all the dead leaves and keep fungus levels down. And while I have never seen one being eaten by my plants I don't doubt that it is possible [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I do find them annoying, but I belive that they are useful food items for my genlisea, droseras, pings, and just about whatever is around. You probably already have them, but they are most likely still too small. Just wait a while, and they should be visible. I doubt anyone who has any of them in their pots asked for the little bugs to take up residence; they seem to be a creature that just shows up.

Cole
    Duele no tenerte cerca, duele no escuchar tu voz. Duele respirar tu ausencia, pero, duele más decirte adiós.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Quote (Pyro @ Feb. 25 2003,03:23)
    Actually they are little gray/brown/black/silver/other drab colour insects that feed on detritus. Only real bad infestations would result in feeding on live matter[/QUOTE]
    Really, oh wait... we are dealing with a large group of insects so their are probubly some that do both... still, I'm getting out my insect books at home this weekend.

Oh, my bad. Ick, this is freaky how I got this group confused with another, I really need to brush up on my entomology o_O (bad Darcie, no more avoiding reviews *smack*)

The main this about this group of insects is that their abdomin curls under letting them use their cerci like a spring board, lol [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] (your right, I forgot most were grey, what was I thinking O_o)
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have them, and I believe they are actually good things. The are housekeepers as Pyro mentions. My droserae feed on them over the winter, so they are welcome.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Springtails are primitive insects in the insect order Collembola. Most, but by no means all, species possess the ventral jumping organ (the furcula) which gives this group their common name. There are a few species which attack plants, but I've never heard of them being a problem with CPs, the vast majority feed on micro-organisms, especially fungi.

I have them in the soil of most of my CPs as well as being house-keepers, they provide a useful food source for small Drosera seedlings and the plants from sprouting gemmae.

I wouldn't worry about them, but neither would I go to the trouble of importing them from another region as plant food. They could escape into a non-native environment and compete with those which occur naturally in your area. I'm sure many of the common types found in plant composts have been spread all over the globe by now though.

Vic
    They say that money talks, but all it ever says to me is goodbye.

6. Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12