Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spring tails

Western MI USA
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

Quote (Pyro @ Feb. 25 2003,03:23)
    Actually they are little gray/brown/black/silver/other drab colour insects that feed on detritus. Only real bad infestations would result in feeding on live matter[/QUOTE]
    Really, oh wait... we are dealing with a large group of insects so their are probubly some that do both... still, I'm getting out my insect books at home this weekend.

Oh, my bad. Ick, this is freaky how I got this group confused with another, I really need to brush up on my entomology o_O (bad Darcie, no more avoiding reviews *smack*)*

The main this about this group of insects is that their abdomin curls under letting them use their cerci like a spring board, lol [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] *(your right, I forgot most were grey, what was I thinking O_o)
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Oswego, New York, U.S.A.
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)
    I have them, and I believe they are actually good things. The are housekeepers as Pyro mentions. My droserae feed on them over the winter, so they are welcome.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Cambridgeshire, U.K.
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)
    Springtails are primitive insects in the insect order Collembola. Most, but by no means all, species possess the ventral jumping organ (the furcula) which gives this group their common name. There are a few species which attack plants, but I've never heard of them being a problem with CPs, the vast majority feed on micro-organisms, especially fungi.

I have them in the soil of most of my CPs as well as being house-keepers, they provide a useful food source for small Drosera seedlings and the plants from sprouting gemmae.

I wouldn't worry about them, but neither would I go to the trouble of importing them from another region as plant food. They could escape into a non-native environment and compete with those which occur naturally in your area. I'm sure many of the common types found in plant composts have been spread all over the globe by now though.

They say that money talks, but all it ever says to me is goodbye.

4. Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12