Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pygmy sundew identification

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    naw , the gemmae you sent me last year did'nt make it , the unknown one came from spec and the d. nitidula x pulchella i recieved in a trade with someone . so is the first one d. x lake badgerup ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, somewhere down the line I have either mislabled a plant, photo, or gotten myself confused. However, this could be right.

I have a flower and plant that I thought was labled D. nitidula x pulchella that looks identical to Vic's photo on the first page of this thread.

Now, when I took a new photo today, I was suprized to see that I have a plant labled D. pulchella x nitidula. This has a different flower color all together. I do have two pots that my lables have fallen out of and I cannot find the pot with the D. nitidula x pulchella.

This is the plant and flower that I have noted as D. nitidula x pulchella:

This is the plant that I have labled as D. pulchella x nitidula:

Nick

Careful where you crawl, it might be a trap!

http://www.carnivorium.com
    http://www.buckeyecarnivores.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first looks like nitidula x pulchella. Beautiful flower on the second. I do not know what it is.
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The second is D. pulchella x ericksoniae. Beautiful plants too!
    Rose is correct on the other. You have to keep in mind that there are many D. nitidula subspecies. I would guess that Vi's plants are D. nitidula ssp. alantostigma x D. pulchella, and yours possibly D. nitidula ssp. nitidula x D. pulchella.

Drosera nitidula is plenty confusing on its own without adding hybridization to the mix! I might be wrong regarding either D. nitdula hybrid.

The D. ericksoniae hybrid I am positive on. This form was created by Alister Culham in the U.K. and I hope someday to register it with his name. It is one of my favorite pygmy species.

I hope I am not resposible for your confusion. Last season's gemmae distribution involved redistributing other growers gemmae, and one batch was completely and I believe intentionally mislabeled. This batch had a named D. scorpioides but proved to be but another D. nitidula hybrid, identical to many other differently named species he provided. This is not a mistake any reasonable grower could possibly make, so I feel there was deception involved.

"Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's Alastair, not Alister Culham. Worth bearing in mind if you want to register it in his name [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Nice guy and a great hybrid, one of my favorites too. Its so easy to grow, vigorous and large, it should be in every CP growers collection. Tamlin and myself have certainly been doing our bit to make that happen! I still have plenty of free gemmae available to European growers only, for an SASE or an IRC, email me if interested.

Cheers

Vic
    They say that money talks, but all it ever says to me is goodbye.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the spelling correction Vic. I have updated my records. (blush)
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I received this plants few years ago as Drosera miniata, but after few investigations, it seemed differents from this species. I waited until I can see the flowers, but since they open 1-2 hours, usually between 11-14h, I'm not usually at home, and missed the flowers all the time until this year!

Every time, I saw the closed flowers bud with pink petals, and D. miniata isn't supposed to have pink petals...

So here's few pictures of the plants and it's flowers. It had only 1 flower/stalk, the plants is less than 1" across, and the stalk aren't higher than 2".

My conclusion is that this plants is, in fact, Drosera occidentalis ssp occidentalis. Any thoughts about this?

I would had like to take better/closer picture of the flower, but it seems that my camera isn't good enough for this, or it's the photographer fault

[img]http://home.**********.com/users/quizibo/Dminiata.jpg[/img]

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pay no attention to the little red X's in this post. I thought maybe I could get pictures in them, from emesis' post, but, alas, I couldn't; they are gone forever. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast