What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pygmy sundew identification

It's flowering time for the pygmy species, and I know I sent out some unidentified coded material last season. We have managed to ID "C-1" and it worked out so nicely that I am starting another pinned discussion thread to help with any other ID problems.

As I have mentioned, the taxonomy of these species is difficult when the plants are not flowering, so if you have any questions as to what you are growing, now is a good time to try to resolve ID issues.

I'll help this thread by asking the first ID question. I believe these are D. pygmaea "ESA" plants.

Here are some pictures.
D.pygmaeaFlower1.jpg

D.pygmaeaFlower2.jpg

D.pygmaea.jpg

They seem to match the pictures at
here.

I think you have a good eye! A good indicator of D. pygmaea is the 4-merous nature of the flowers. Most of the other species (excepting hybrids) are 5-merous, and most of the hybrids are D. nitidula hybrids and have the typical red styles.

These neat little plants tend to go dormant after flowering, and end up looking pretty ratty as do many of the pygmy species. I keep mine a little more dry, but losses can be high. Don't give up on the pot unless the whole plant browns off: they will return, but it may not be until the next spring before they again look like much. They will make gemmae though in the fall/winter despite this, and these should be sown to replace the losses over summer.

This one popped up in a pot of D. pulchella, Red (58B). It's foliage doesn't look the same as the other plants in the pot. The flower is quite large, 9mm across (much larger than the 'Carbarup flowers' for example) and the photo is a bit deceptive with regard to the petal colour, they are actually the palest shade of pink, almost white.

pul1.jpg

pul2.jpg

Anyone got any ideas? is it another hybrid with D. nitidula? I assume so from the red styles.

Vic

Vic,

This looks like D. nitidula x D. pulchella.

Half the plants I grew from gemmae last season are nitidula hybrids!

I would weed this one out Vic, you probably have a whole pot of it somewhere :)

Thanks for that Tamlin, I think I might mark this one with a little stick, so I can tell it apart come gemmae season. Having looked in Vol 2 of A. Lowrie's books, this does look you be a genuine D. nitidula x pulchella.

I have several pots proclaiming to be D. nitidula x pulchella, none of which came from you  
smile.gif
, one is identical to Alastair Culham's D. pulchella x ericksoniae, another has yet to flower, yet looks like it might be the same. I also have the plants I posted a photo of in the C1 ID thread, which are much smaller and pinker than this one and are much closer to the 'Carbarup', I now have my doubts about this one!

D. nitidula ssp. omissa x pulchella ??

omissapulchella1.jpg

D. 'Carbarup' (C1)

C1fl.jpg

I also have a pot of D. nitidula x pulchella 'Myalup', which are just sprouting from gemmae, and I'm fairly confident are what they are supposed to be.

Vic

Vic,

It is for sure a D. nitidula hybrid, based on the floral color I am inclined to think this is D. nitidula  x D. occidentalis "Carbarup" form.  Any chance of seeing the rosette on this one?

D. ericksoniae x pulchella has all white styles.

The Mayaup form originated from Phill Mann and you certainly can trust his identification, Phill is one of the world experts regarding pygmy Drosera (e.g. Drosera mannii, lol)

I'm inclined to think that they may be the same cross as the 'Carbarup' plants, but not genetically identical. There are subtle differences in the flower, particularly the shade of pink. Obvious when seen in real life, difficult to capture in a digital photograph.

Unfortunately, the 'D. nitidula ssp. omissa x pulchella ??' is growing in a pot mixed with lots of D. nitidula ssp. omissa x occidentalis ssp. occidentalis 'Lake Badgerup' (not the hybrid that's supposed to be in there either!  
biggrin.gif
It's how it was given to me! ). I'll try to get a photograph of the rosette when the sun comes out tommorrow.

Vic

I remember that I sorted the mystery species from the Lake Badgerup plants last winter,and was reminded of the fact when they started to flower today, so it was easier than I thought to photograph the rosette. The rosettes are very similar - identical to each other when viewed side by side. The only difference is that they are slightly larger on the 'Carbarup' plants, but this is probably environmental.

'Carbarup'

C1.jpg

Mystery

pul4.jpg

I've also noticed that the flowers on the 'mystery' plant occasionally have 5 styles, does this happen with the 'Carbarup' (C1) plants too?

pul3.jpg

Vic

Vic,

Flowers of the "Carbarup" form are variably 4-merous or 5-merous, and there is variability as well in the petal shape.
I have plants of larger and smaller rosette size, and differing shades of pink as well. Other D. nitidula hybrids (i.e. x pygmaea, "Badgerup", x pulchella are mostly white flowered, and the styles on these have different orientation)

The pinkish color, straight knob shaped styles and stipular cone all suggest that this is D. nitidula x occidentalis "Carbarup".

Thanks for all the help on this one Tamlin, I guess I'll be offering plenty of free 'Carbarup' gemmae to growers in the UK this Winter.

Cheers

Vic

Tamlin, You know my mystery dews? Well, they are my healthiest plants now, but still just 3/4-1cm in diameter so I am guessing they are in fact Pygmi grown from seed. As unushual as it sounds, I can't think of any other explanation for their super ultra tineyness (although I still haven't a clue where they came from). Any how, seeing as they are from seed, how old do you figure they will be befor they flower? They will be 1 year old come october so I would guess they flower septemberish once mature, but I don't know when pygmi from seed reach adulthood. Thanks
smile.gif

Hi Darcie,

I can't help you with this question, I have never grown pygmys from seed since in my cultivation such seed is a rare event. I would imagine it takes at least a season or 2 before the plants reach floweing size.

Here is a picture of my unknown Pygmy sundew. You have any ideas what kind of Pygmy I have?

DSC00017.JPG

Thanks,
Travis

Hi Travis, that does not look like a pygmae. Seems to be a young plant of Drosera spatulata or similar species.

Jan

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (JanW @ Aug. 25 2003,3:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hi Travis, that does not look like a pygmae. Seems to be a young plant of Drosera spatulata or similar species.

Jan[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Really? Huh...I have had the spatulata for about a year and half now. It has been pretty good...as in nothing has changed really.
confused.gif
wink.gif
Thanks, JanW

Travis

Hi Travis

I'm no pygmy expert but if you scroll back and look at the pygmy photos posted, you'll notice the similarity in structure between all of them and you can see how different your plant looks from them. Also note the "hairy cone" in the center (can't remember the term at the moment). (Where is Tamlin when you need the botanical terms&#33
wink.gif
. Just because a 'dew is small doesn't mean it is a pygmy.

There are some small form spatulatas...maybe someone can ID your plant.

Suzanne

Thanks PlantAKiss. I never knew about the cone in the middle of the pygmy dews. Learn something new everyday.

Travis

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Also note the "hairy cone" in the center (can't remember the term at the moment).[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

The hairy cone is called stipule, used to deflect the sun's rays.

I have been offline for close to a month, and just got the computer back, so please forgive the delay in reply.

As Suzanne mentioned, this is not a pygmy species. I think it is likely D. capillaris or possibly D. spatulata. It looks to be a well grown plant though. I will set you up with some gemmae in late fall so you can experience these plants for yourself.

In addition to offering pygmy species some protection from the summer sun, they also act like a springboard, placing tension against the developing gemmae so when the first raindrops hit them they propel the gemmae a good distance: part of the evolutionary strategy needed to replenish the populations decimated by the harsh summer conditions. They really can pop off and go a good distance when they do!

Back