Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pygmy sundew identification

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's flowering time for the pygmy species, and I know I sent out some unidentified coded material last season. We have managed to ID "C-1" and it worked out so nicely that I am starting another pinned discussion thread to help with any other ID problems.

As I have mentioned, the taxonomy of these species is difficult when the plants are not flowering, so if you have any questions as to what you are growing, now is a good time to try to resolve ID issues.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll help this thread by asking the first ID question. I believe these are D. pygmaea "ESA" plants.

Here are some pictures.

They seem to match the pictures at
    here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you have a good eye! A good indicator of D. pygmaea is the 4-merous nature of the flowers. Most of the other species (excepting hybrids) are 5-merous, and most of the hybrids are D. nitidula hybrids and have the typical red styles.

These neat little plants tend to go dormant after flowering, and end up looking pretty ratty as do many of the pygmy species. I keep mine a little more dry, but losses can be high. Don't give up on the pot unless the whole plant browns off: they will return, but it may not be until the next spring before they again look like much. They will make gemmae though in the fall/winter despite this, and these should be sown to replace the losses over summer.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This one popped up in a pot of D. pulchella, Red (58B). It's foliage doesn't look the same as the other plants in the pot. The flower is quite large, 9mm across (much larger than the 'Carbarup flowers' for example) and the photo is a bit deceptive with regard to the petal colour, they are actually the palest shade of pink, almost white.

Anyone got any ideas? is it another hybrid with D. nitidula? I assume so from the red styles.

Vic
    They say that money talks, but all it ever says to me is goodbye.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vic,

This looks like D. nitidula x D. pulchella.

Half the plants I grew from gemmae last season are nitidula hybrids!

I would weed this one out Vic, you probably have a whole pot of it somewhere :-)
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that Tamlin, I think I might mark this one with a little stick, so I can tell it apart come gemmae season. Having looked in Vol 2 of A. Lowrie's books, this does look you be a genuine D. nitidula x pulchella.

I have several pots proclaiming to be D. nitidula x pulchella, none of which came from you [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] , one is identical to Alastair Culham's D. pulchella x ericksoniae, another has yet to flower, yet looks like it might be the same. I also have the plants I posted a photo of in the C1 ID thread, which are much smaller and pinker than this one and are much closer to the 'Carbarup', I now have my doubts about this one!

D. nitidula ssp. omissa x pulchella ??

D. 'Carbarup' (C1)

I also have a pot of D. nitidula x pulchella 'Myalup', which are just sprouting from gemmae, and I'm fairly confident are what they are supposed to be.

Vic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vic,

It is for sure a D. nitidula hybrid, based on the floral color I am inclined to think this is D. nitidula x D. occidentalis "Carbarup" form. Any chance of seeing the rosette on this one?

D. ericksoniae x pulchella has all white styles.

The Mayaup form originated from Phill Mann and you certainly can trust his identification, Phill is one of the world experts regarding pygmy Drosera (e.g. Drosera mannii, lol)

"Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm inclined to think that they may be the same cross as the 'Carbarup' plants, but not genetically identical. There are subtle differences in the flower, particularly the shade of pink. Obvious when seen in real life, difficult to capture in a digital photograph.

Unfortunately, the 'D. nitidula ssp. omissa x pulchella ??' is growing in a pot mixed with lots of D. nitidula ssp. omissa x occidentalis ssp. occidentalis 'Lake Badgerup' (not the hybrid that's supposed to be in there either! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] It's how it was given to me! ). I'll try to get a photograph of the rosette when the sun comes out tommorrow.

Vic

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast