What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thinking about a sundew

• Thread starter Warped54321
  • Start date
  • Tags
    sundew
W

Warped54321

I'm thinking about buying a sundew, and i was wandering what was the best one to buy?

Do you want one that you can grow outside or one for a house plant the does not need dormacy? My favorite is D. filiformis, thread leaf sundew. However, it needs a dormacy period. If you want a house plant consider D. adelae or D. binita. The D. adelae will from plantlets where the leaf touches the "soil" D. binita, forked leaf sundew, has a neat look to it.

Preferably one with dormacy.

I like D. Adalae a lot. It can turn such pretty reds (even though I can't get mine to) and they're so easy. They don't need a dormancy though. Hmmm, maybe a rotundifolia. They need a cold dormant period and they are also easy and turn pretty reds.

How does a sundew live, about a year?
confused.gif

Different species have different life spans. I have seen rotundifolia that were a decade old: I counted the rosettes buried in successive layers of moss, like on a chain. Tuberous species are very long lived, and gigantea after a decade or so can get to be shrublike. I'm told you can stub your toe on the trunk. Pygmy species too can last years. The tropical species vary. Burmanii, sessilifolia and gladnduligera, brevifolia are pretty much annual species, but with good cultivation can go longer. Many are clonal: aliciae and adelae for example offset, and although the original rosettes may wane and die, the cluster continues. Many species die after flowering unless care is taken, and in nature this is not often the case. In cultivation, a good feeding regime after flowering with attention to humidity and temperature can revitify plants that are tired from flowering and seed set. Well grown plants usually reproduce quickly enough so that losses in habitat and cultivation are quickly replaced, whether from offsets, gemmae or seed. With gemmae, the resulting plants are identical genetically with the parent: one reason why the populations are self sterile. Since ithey are identical, it can be argued that it is all the original plant!

K...i guess it would be bad to stub your toe on on one of those.

So i guess the rotundifolia would be the best?
confused.gif

D. adelae is the best. none have dormancies, as for they are tropical. I wouldnt get a sundew, i got mine and it didnt come with any dew on its leaves, and i bought it from here! i snipped off all those leaves and no new ones grew and it slowly decayed. There to much to care for when it comes to they need humidity, and a terarium. And it is not worth just one plant my friend.

Soooo... maybee i should buy another pitcher plant
smile.gif

Since this is the place for talk of sundews, I've got a question! I've mentioned in various forums that I've ordered 2 sundews from Chris Fieger in Quebec, Canada. The two I'm buying are drosera capillaris and drosera alba (I think that's the name of the second).
They'll be living in the same 5 gallon terrarium with my VFT's. Does anyone know how big they get? Should that size tank keep them for quite awhile?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">D. adelae is the best. none have dormancies, as for they are tropical. I wouldnt get a sundew, i got mine and it didnt come with any dew on its leaves, and i bought it from here! i snipped off all those leaves and no new ones grew and it slowly decayed. There to much to care for when it comes to they need humidity, and a terarium. And it is not worth just one plant my friend.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Now wait a minute are you saying that none of the sundews require dormacies? If you are I think you are sadly mistaken. As for being hard to grow most sundews are not. The shock of shipping causes a lot of sundews to lose there dew but most of the time the dew will return. The D.adela is one that is often know for drying up for no reason. I have one that is completly dew free setting next to one covered in dew. I grow a lot of mine year round outside with out any special care and even after a week without rain they are covered with dew. You can see some of my sundews in my posting "sundews in my bog"

Back