User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about a sundew

Warped54321

Exclamation

I'm thinking about buying a sundew, and i was wandering what was the best one to buy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you want one that you can grow outside or one for a house plant the does not need dormacy? My favorite is D. filiformis, thread leaf sundew. However, it needs a dormacy period. If you want a house plant consider D. adelae or D. binita. The D. adelae will from plantlets where the leaf touches the "soil" D. binita, forked leaf sundew, has a neat look to it.
    Marjorie

Warped54321

Preferably one with dormacy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like D. Adalae a lot. It can turn such pretty reds (even though I can't get mine to) and they're so easy. They don't need a dormancy though. Hmmm, maybe a rotundifolia. They need a cold dormant period and they are also easy and turn pretty reds.

Warped54321

How does a sundew live, about a year? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Different species have different life spans. I have seen rotundifolia that were a decade old: I counted the rosettes buried in successive layers of moss, like on a chain. Tuberous species are very long lived, and gigantea after a decade or so can get to be shrublike. I'm told you can stub your toe on the trunk. Pygmy species too can last years. The tropical species vary. Burmanii, sessilifolia and gladnduligera, brevifolia are pretty much annual species, but with good cultivation can go longer. Many are clonal: aliciae and adelae for example offset, and although the original rosettes may wane and die, the cluster continues. Many species die after flowering unless care is taken, and in nature this is not often the case. In cultivation, a good feeding regime after flowering with attention to humidity and temperature can revitify plants that are tired from flowering and seed set. Well grown plants usually reproduce quickly enough so that losses in habitat and cultivation are quickly replaced, whether from offsets, gemmae or seed. With gemmae, the resulting plants are identical genetically with the parent: one reason why the populations are self sterile. Since ithey are identical, it can be argued that it is all the original plant!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Warped54321

Smile

K...i guess it would be bad to stub your toe on on one of those.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only wish I had the chance!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast