Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: South African Droserae

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vic, can you give us an idea of the scale of your image?

In appearance it seems more like Drosera natalensis or even Drosera venusta than Drosera dielsiana.

Tamlin we could use your expert eye.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The largest rosette in the photo (bottom right-hand corner) has a has a diameter of 3.5cm. The plants are all, mature, flowering plants, two years-old.

Vic
    They say that money talks, but all it ever says to me is goodbye.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This appears to me to be a variant of D. dielsiana. I trust you all have read what I have said concerning specation in the South African plants. There are no easy answers. The simple bifurcation of the styles does not support D. natalensis or D. aliciae as a determination. The petiole is not tetrete, so it cannot be D. burkeana. Since the plant is flowering, I doubt it is a juvenille form of D. nidiformis, although there is a good chance that this may be a hybrid of D. dielsiana and D. nidiformis which are closely allied species. Sorry I cant help more. If I ever get back online to get to my email, I will ask Robert Gibson's opinion, and will post his reply as soon as I have it.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Here is a photo of my Drosera natalensis. It should be a correctly identified plant.

Christian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi William,

I read your post on the CP listserve. You described exactly my situtation. I do have many Drosera, which i'm not sure about the identity and they all look somehow different. All i can say is, they look like, or it could be a [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img], as you wrote in your post. I will not come to a definite determination, cause i have too less experience in identifieng them. I'm of the opinion, that in some cases a definite dermination is nearly impossible. The species seem to be very variant. So, it's quite hard, if not nearly impossible, to find a plant, that matches exactly the published descriptions, like Obermeyer's Key or Robert Gibson Article. I really woud like to know, which plants i do have in my collection. Maybe there are some surprises, i never thought of.

I know many people, who have the same problem. And much mor will most probably not even know, they have wrong labeled plants. These facts are very disappointing.

best wishes

Christian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am still waiting for an informed answer to my questions, but it is likely not to happen on the listserve. I am going to try to get Robert to join the group (at least long enough to give his opinion, he is VERY busy) and hopefully shed some light on the problems regarding identification of South African species. Hang in there Christian, but be prepared to accept the possibility that we will NEVER be able to assign a species determination to an isolated example of a South African population. This is my current opinion, and I am waiting for a reply that changes my mind on this issue. So far, there have been no convincing replies.

"Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tamlin

Good luck in your efforts with regard to trying to unravel the complex taxonomy of the rosetted S. African Drosera. It would be excellent if the likes of Robert Gibson could be persuaded to shed some light.

Below are a couple of pictures I took yesterday of a plant labelled as D. admirabilis growing in the collection of a well known UK grower, **** Jones. The rosettes on these plants were tiny, less than 1cm on the largest and smaller than that on several in flower, which was about 1cm diameter. Any comments/discussion on this one welcome, I have seen other plants labelled as this species, but these look like the real McCoy to me.

Cheers

Vic
    They say that money talks, but all it ever says to me is goodbye.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vic,

As I understand it, D. admiribilis was rejected as a synonym for D. cuneifolia...I need to research this. I have no experience with with either form, and am working on acquiring D. cuneifolia to become better acquainted with it. There's not much I can offer on this one I'm afraid, other than to note an absence of the constricted cells along the lamina which gives both D. cuneifolia and D. slackii a sort of bulge.

I can say that it looks like nothing I have seen but this looks very much like a plant I was recently sent photos of which I likewise did not recognize, Patrice, if you read this take note! Its a real beauty though, and the flower is unique to me!

Robert is a very busy man, but let's hope for the best. I have yet to plead my case with him, but I will soon! Let's all hope that his book comes out: he's writing one on South African CP, which he told me should be out around 2005. Personally, I am drooling!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast