Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: South African Droserae

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might be pursuaded that this plant is a form of D. cuneifolia, but it is certainly very different from the type. I am quite familiar with the D. cuneifolia in the collection of Alastair Culham at Reading University (an academic who's interests include Drosera systematics, as well as a keen CP collector, so hopefully his plants are correctly I.D.ed), these plants are much larger when mature, over an inch in diameter and certainly bigger than the flowers. The plants in my photos are very small, the flower in the photo was much bigger than the rosette from which it grew.

Vic
    They say that money talks, but all it ever says to me is goodbye.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (Tony Paroubek @ Sep. 04 2002,02:51)
    I have coccicaulis..

At least that is what it is called. From Triffid Park. I am probably one of the worst at IDing Drosera but it seems to fit the description. My understanding is that there is question that it is even a valid species by some people..
    Anyway, here is a picture of the coccicaulis

I also have trinervia, glabripes.. jacoby (I think)
    Many of these I am trying for the first time so have alot to learn.
    Tony[/QUOTE]

Tony,
    Your "D. coccicaulis" is D. venusta. Back in the late 80s, when this plant first surfaced it was circulated as D. coccicaulis (though the species itself was not yet described) and most plants with this name out there today originated from this stock. D. venusta is very variable therefore anything that looks like it probably is. I am not aware that D. coccicaulis actually entered cultivation.

Utricman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Utricman,

Check the second page of this topic. There is a post by Stefan that should explain the origins of "coccicaulis".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CP2K,
    My point remains: D. coccicaulis is D. venusta.

Thanks for pointing out how D. coccicaulis (=> D. venusta) entered cultivation with a wrong name.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dr. Schlauer's database lists D. venusta as synonomous with D. natalensis. I am inclined to accept this opinion as well. Variation is too great within the complex to allow segregation for every variation at species level.

So, D. coccicaulis = D. venusta = D. natalensis. Nice and simple!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vic,

I have had this reply from Robert:

"The 2 images sure do look like D. admirabilis, particularly from the styles that flare at the apex into wedge-shaped stigmatic lobes. The narrowly wedge shaped leaves also match D. admirabilis. I am aware of this species from 2 locations: Hermanus and Bains Kloof, the latter in close proximity to D. regia. Paul Debbert implies the species also occurs in the Palmiet River Valley, west of Hermanus. Given these locations are fairly widely spaced it appears reasonable to assume this species may be locally common over a large part of the western Cape. And, if so, may also exhibit more variation than is currently in the literature."

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Robert for his considerate reply.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for chasing that one up for me Tamlin, it is much appreciated, thank Robert from me when next you talk. I have a lot of respect for **** Jones who grew this plant and I had certainly seen nothing like it when I cast eyes on it last week, hence, I took the time to photograph it.

I am currently growing seed, labelled as D. admirabilis, if they don't grow into something resembling ****'s plants, then they will go straight to the compost heap! I know who I shall be asking for seeds next year too. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

I suppose all that remains is to convince a certain taxonomist that D. admirabilis exists and is different from D. cuneifolia. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] Given Jan's recent responses on the Listserve, it maybe difficult to persuade him to find the time to visit this forum, let alone change his opinion.

Cheers

Vic
    They say that money talks, but all it ever says to me is goodbye.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vic,

Well, Dr. Schlauer if quite a busy man so I am hardly surprised at this. This being said, I will continue to give my "best guesses" on ID questions.

Good luck with obtaining and growing this plant, which certainly seems in all regards a suitable candidate for species rank.
    "Grow More, Share More"

9. Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast